1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons smites Scoop about the head...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

excellent point.

though, we could trek to poland or ireland or england and go to a soccer game and see our share of stab wounds at the pitch.

2. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

it's actually the opposite over there ... the soccer hoodlums are crazy making the gangbangers in Vegas look tame, they come to games with homemade bombs, spiked bats and whatnot, look at what happened in Italy a few weeks ago ... and the European soccer fans might be the most racist sports fans in the world, this isn't just an American problem ... I commend you Jason for having the balls to write what you did but I will say this, it would be much more ballsy for a white sportswriter to write a column about the NBA's "thug" problem for fear of being called a racist just like it would be considered that way if a black sportswriter wrote about the craziness that goes on by mostly white people at European soccer games ...

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Thinking about it now, I remember a bunch of years ago hearing a black reporter on the radio once, I want to say it was either Brian Burwell, David Dupree, or Aldridge (though I think it was Burwell though I don't remember for sure) talking about covering a race at Indy and being subjected to racist barbs and intimidation while covering the event. At least it was an Indy car league. But this was probably close to 10 years ago now, and so even if you don't hear about it all the time, it doesn't mean those who rail against such behavior is making it all up.

4. NCats

NCats New Member

I was in Vegas this weekend and talked to a bunch of cabbies/dealers, etc. The response, to a man, was it was the worst weekend they could ever remember, with one person saying it "was the worst weekend in 34 years."

Two cabbies confirmed there were 5 shootings on or near the Strip itself.

One of those cabbies said he had 6 skipped fares over the weekend, where he usually gets 1-2 on a normal weekend.

Numbers of arrests in Vegas, or at any major event pretty muchs means Nothing. Those numbers can be manipulated at several different levels.

5. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

I thought there were other columns about this. I was listening to WFAN when they referenced Jason's column and I thought talked about at least one other. The next three callers were all people that had been in Vegas and said it was absolutely crazy. One guy left a day into his weeklong vacation because he didn't feel safe.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Ta da
    http://www.cjrdaily.org/behind_the_news/jason_whitlock_had_a_great_tim.php

I think that is a fair point. Whitlock had one column for the Star that said one thing and the AOL column said something completely different.

7. Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

Here's someone else weighing in on the topic: Sun-Times columnist Rick Telander.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/273082,CST-SPT-rick26.article

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the Columbia Journalism Review does attack Whitlock, I bet he takes about a dozen down with him. I doubt any of those pencil necks know how to fight.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You have to be completely out of your gourd to make a genralization like that about soccer fans.

To say that people show up to matches with homemade bombs or baseball bats with nails through the end is preposterous. There are issues in Spain and Italy with racism in the general population which manifests itself at soccer games. It has caused those countries federations to look for help from England, which has almost completely eradicated the hooligan element by policing and hi-tech security systems that track known troublemakers and don't allow them out of the country or near a stadium.

As an Englishman who grew up during the epidemic of hooliganism in the 1980's, I am proud of my country for the stand it has taken. Sadly, we are still tarred with the same brush for incidents that happened nearly 20 years ago because people like to throw out generalizations about things they know nothing of.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

After reading the CJR piece, I have two questions for Jason:

1) Did your editors at the KC Star have any issues with the differences between your two columns?

2) Do you really think it's right to have the attitude that "I'm not big on quoting anybody" since you are a columnist?

I do agree that you can write a column based on your experiences and how you feel. No problem there. But, you could afford to join the Villareal brothers in the "How to Get a Thicker Skin" classes based on your comments in the WFAN interview.

11. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

first of all, I wasn't attacking all soccer fans, I was attacking soccer "hooligans" ... big difference, and just because England is doing things to correct problems doesn't mean there aren't problems ... as far as the violence, how do you explain a policeman in Italy being killed by a bomb thrown in his car after riots starting IN A SOCCER STADIUM and spilled out into the streets, you don't see that as a problem, I didn't attack England so you can get off your goddamn pedestal and open you eyes Hack

12. Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

jay, re-read the kcstar column. please.

elliotte, you do realize there's a wide disparity between what really transpired on the wfan radio show and what was reported by some guy intent on making a point about me?

Draft saved Draft deleted