1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons smites Scoop about the head...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Feb 25, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

Okeydokey, I went and found the AOL columns. Two, right?
    *Shrug*
    I was of the thinking that the Vegas Mayor was worried about All-Star Weekend becoming a melee. It, by all appearances, was a self-fulfilling prophecy with an NFL player and his entourage getting into a shootout at a strip club, plus numerous reports of violence.
    Just because people don't like it, doesn't make it not true.
    Plus, I got the impression from the columns that it was more a question of tone and appearance than a matter of something caught on video. Feeling unsafe doesn't translate to tape.

2. Taylee

Taylee Member

Maybe this is their way of demanding that "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

403 arrests? Sounds to me like something happened last weekend in Vegas.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks.

For what it's worth, Mardi Gras next year will be Feb. 5, two days after the NBA All-Star Game. Those of you who know New Orleans know Mardi Gras there isn't just a day -- it's more than a month-long buildup, with parades for weeks.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as Whitlock did in his columns, but I feel safe saying the NBA All-Star Game in New Orleans on Mardi Gras weekend would probably be asking for problems the city doesn't need.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

JW, just tell them they're right, because Sportsbruh already told you. And Sportsbruh knows all.

6. Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

the arrest numbers don't come close to telling the story. not even close....

vegas and the nba knew exactly what was coming... the strip was basically "hamsterdan" (the wire) and the police chief was bunny colvin (the wire). they juked the numbers. period.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why is CJR into this?

8. Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

21, not sure.... the guy told me i was the only one to write anything about the unrest in vegas and there's no way the rest of the media would ignore it.

9. Re: Columbia Journalism Review plans Whitlock attack....

Oh yeah, no way that would happen. ::)

I'm probably going to get ripped for saying this but I think a large part of it has to do with what type of media was there: ESPN and sports reporters there to cover an event and not looking for a bigger story ...

also I wouldn't be surprised if some white reporters/columnists saw the same thing you did and didn't have the nerve to write about it out of fear about being labeled a racist ...

White people aren't allowed to say they're uncomfortable around black people unless they're already in jail ...

10. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Can't wait to get my next CJR to see how their "objective analytical reporters" have botched another investigative piece.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jason, why do you hate black people?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The world is breathless. Do be sure to start another thread about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted