1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons Questions ESPN's Support of Grantland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Mar 17, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, it's 100 percent true. For a guy whose start was writing blog columns from his parents' basement, he's done awfully well.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This one was still rising when it cleared the center field fence.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

People have been eulogizing terrestrial radio as long as newspapers, but it seems the end really is nigh when Golic/Greenberg fill time presenting their brackets.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think it would be naive to think that ESPN does not slot in each personality to each demographic.

Simmons is the white male, some higher ed with a wife and kids, between 35-49 demo. Basically, where the money is, or the ones that spend the money.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are like a Kevin James movie; not that good, but, man, do the rubes love it.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with this, and also with Michael's post from the previous page. I think it's in ESPN and Simmons' best interest to make the marriage work. Yeah, ESPN can easily move on and make "another" Simmons type, but they're ESPN. It would also be easy for them to just keep him on board; they have lots and lots of money, which tends to help soothe some feelings. The odd thing to me is always what ESPN chooses to get pissy about. Simmons taking a dump on Roger Goodell, or being told to not disparage other ESPN personalities, like who gives a shit? Neither thing is a #hotsportstake.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Who at ESPN is a bigger draw for 21-35 men?

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, I'm pretty clearly not in in the 21-35 demographic as I have no idea who that is.

Also interesting how much Deadspin went full Deadspin when you look at the original re/code article:

ESPN’s Bill Simmons Interview on Contract, Grantland, Podcasts | Re/code

This is Romenesko teased it:
    * Bill Simmons says of Grantland: “I think we have the best multimedia site right now. I don’t even know who we’re competing with.”

And now we are five pages in at talking about how whiny he is, when he didn't really come across that way in the re/code piece

11. redsox8

redsox8 New Member

Well, his ego is massive. His skill is considerable.
    He royally pissed me off when he basically endorsed age discrimination.
    I don't think he's the only guy on earth who can run Grantland, but some of what I perceive as vices are viewed by others as virtues.
    He has guts, which is good, and arrogance, which is ultimately self-destructive.
    Regardless of what happens, I doubt it will humble him. I also doubt it will derail him for long.
    The Bill Simmonses of the world submerge and resurface many times.

Draft saved Draft deleted