1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons Questions ESPN's Support of Grantland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Mar 17, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Is there a writer/personality ESPN has thrown more support behind than Simmons?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Some people are always going to be miserable.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly and Chris Berman? Although Berman was probably instrumental in ESPN's rise to power, Reilly was getting a hefty sum at one point and probably didn't deliver any return on the investment. I'm admittedly more of a Simmons fan than not, but I don't get the feeling that ESPN has been wasting money on him.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons is a poor man's Keith Olbermann.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Reilly was really the only other name that came to mind for me, but there isn't anything they did for Reilly that they haven't done and then some for Simmons - Front-page location, TV show appearances, etc.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Adulation is a helluva drug.

Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There aren't many people who are good at big ideas in their field. Simmons is one of them. Grantland is a good idea. It is, however, no more than an occasional read for high-intensity sports fans, because life's too short to make it a daily media dive -- at least that's how I find it. ESPN has given Grantland probably more support than its market status warrants. Simmons is too good a business thinker not to know that, but as noted by others, he seems incapable of feeling satisfaction in the work environment.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Grantland is a great idea. 30 for 30 is a great idea. Bill's an idea guy, can't have enough guys like Bill Simmons.

But man does he love conflict. And I say that as someone who is very much like Bill in that regard.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

it's not the case with all successful people, but it certainly is the case with some that the reason they are so successful is that what they have is never enough, and so they want more, more, more. and they often perceive themselves as being slighted or disrespected, when most everyone else would see them as abundantly blessed.

judging from that interview, simmons may be one of those people.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Simmons was and always will be the spoiled little prep-school shit who cries if he doesn't get his way.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's a narcissist. Some prominent people are -- they're so insistent on their just due to address their own insecurity, and they project it so successfully onto others, that folks just kind of bend around them for the sake of what their talent can produce. It's a passive kind of greed, really, and less narcissistic people aren't always wise to it.

Over time, it's corrosive to an entire work culture, because it engenders (needless) loyalty in some and long-suffering irritability in others. And it's not about being a nice person or not a nice person, either. I know lots of "great guy" narcissists. But, unless you're consistent in the friendship/working relationship, it sooner or later reverts back to the central matter of their self-esteem.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but ESPN has gotten a lot more out of Simmons than they got out of Reilly.

sgreenwell and Riptide like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted