1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiamiACC, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

J-Bug, welcome to the board.

2. 80's pop culture references?
    And what a golden era that was.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ever hear of American Idol? Millions of fans, millions more tuning in each and every week. The show is incredibly popular, right?

But the show is still empty dreck posing as real TV and no amount of fans will turn crap into gold.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Today's column was running two reader e-mails written in, yes, Simmons' style. It's a popular niche, which isn't really a contradiction. The folks who care do, and others either don't care or think it's back-pattingly shallow.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In other words, "I don't feel like writing a column today, so I'll let the readers do it."

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You'd think that unfunny moron, with his vast movie knowledge, would try some riff on the Oscars for Monday's column.

Yeah, he's that original.

7. Vast movie knowledge, my aunt Fanny.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow. Can't believe he would do that. First time in history a columnist ever did something like that. He should be fired.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shit, Doyel has never centered columns around reader responses before.

10. No, but columnists who've made a lliving calling other columnists lazy, and lamenting how The Man kept them down in their professional infancy, should not be blowing them off like this.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree to a point, but part of Simmons' schtick has always been mailbag columns. I think it makes his readers like him even more because then they feel there is a point in writing to him.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Wow, I think this justification of bashing anything popular is actually getting older than the actual bashing.

I just don't get how some people here act like because a writer is popular there has to be something wrong with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted