1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiamiACC, Feb 23, 2007.

1. vecsey

vecsey Member

Somehow I can't picture Simmons writing an 800-word weekly Air&Space-type column in SI. He's at 800 words before he takes a breath. SI.com would be more his cup (OK, gallon drum) of tea. If Simmons had been our 16th president, the Gettysburg Address would have been 272 pages and would have taken four hours to read. Wasn't it Truman Capote who said of Bill Simmons: That's not writing, that's typing.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

john schulian left sportswriting for hollywood and became a mediocrity. same with david israel. simmons likely will disappear into the abyss - though it will be a well-compensated abyss.

he has to move on. his well is dry. the hormones change near 40 - he's faking orgasm. it's obvious.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, they could always pair him up with Jenn Sterger on the Web site.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dear fucking God. Does the Internet have enough bandwidth to handle such vapidity?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've got a foot in both camps on this one... Yeah, he writes insufferably long, very often. And when he swings and misses a several-thousand word web blathering is brutal. But he does have writing talent, that perhaps because of his success, has never had to be reigned in or disciplined. Some of his ideas are clever and he is good at writing funny. His column gained popularity in the first place for a reason.

In my opinion, when he was younger and fresh he was consistently better. I enjoyed reading him more often than not. It's just been a downhill ride for me (I don't expect everyone to agree). I've rarely looked at his column the last several years, unless someone here linked to something with a reason. It seemed to me like he's became a parody of himself, and the results haven't been that great. He still hits the long ball, occasionally, though.

I have no idea what else his particular talent lends itself to. He'll never be a reporter, and features are out. Maybe a novel--because he does write better than many of you are willing to give credit for. Maybe scripts, as the first post suggested. Anyone up for a 5 hour, 32 minute movie?

6. Someone will pay him, either ESPN or someone else ...

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, shit, someone fire up an AP NewsAlert after that revelation.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Sorry. I'm getting punchy.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Olbermann? Olbermann? Wait wait, we aren't talkin' talent here, we talkin about Olbermann? Ah Olbermann?

That no-talent-ass clown is a never was, and will never be.

10. crustacean

crustacean Member

We can debate talent and no-talent all day long and not get anywhere. (As proven in countless threads on this site about Simmons and others.)

I'm talking in terms of popularity and cultural impact.

... However, if you think Olbermann doesn't have talent, I sure as shit hope you aren't in charge of hiring and firing wherever your gig is. That's an embarrassing statement you just made.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think somebody's letting his dislike of Olbermann's politics cloud his judgement.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I hope that you two are not in charge of hiring at your places of employment. The guy was aweful on ESPN is aweful on MSNBC and is nothing more than a character actor hired to be himself on TV, and that's nothing more than a damn fool.

But if I wanted to hire a damn fool I'd put you at the top of my list.

Draft saved Draft deleted