1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiamiACC, Feb 23, 2007.

1. MiamiACC

MiamiACC New Member

This is from an interview done on cnnsi.com last March:

"BS: I think this is going to be it for me. I really want to move into scripts next. I'm ready to do it. I've been doing this since '97. At the spring of next year, my contract ends. That would be 10 years. I'm not saying I wouldn't come back. But I think 10 years is a nice run. Maybe keep my NFL column and that's it."

This is from a source, just received yesterday:

"According to my friend (details deleted on their identity) Simmons has threatened to quit several times and they've told him go ahead. As soon as his contract is up, he's done."

This would mean he's gone in anywhere from 1-3 months or so. For better or worse, definitely the end of an era.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Clearly his college buddies stand to lose the most.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

A Brotha should be headlining that page anyway.

Scoop on the rise!

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm glad you're so proud of being a racist, Sportsbruh.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Somebody get a suicide watch on J-Bug.....

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Shit, I'm kinda sorry to hear that. I actually like Simmons and find some of his schtick amusing....

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Hey, it's a loss for American Joe who sits at his cube all day wondering who will entertain him. And if you think he won't be missed, you're very, very off. People love Simmons, no matter how repititive or trite we may find him sometimes. Hell, I rip on him but i always read him (unless it's about boston then i usually fade out). He'd be smart to start his own site again. He's got the market research to prove people read him, he could charge a bundle for ads and make well over six figs a year.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

simmons out?

rushin in?

9. He makes over $500,000, according to some well-placed people...

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not Scoop. Someone with far more talent than him ... Jemele Hill. Rushin is an interesting idea.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why, in particular, should it be a brother? Why not the best person for the job? Are you in possession of demographic numbers that show there's a clear demand for a brother?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, if you don't feed the trolls, they find another bridge to play under.

Draft saved Draft deleted