1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Never try to get good at something. Complete waste of time.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Unless you've got 10,000 hours to spend on it.

JackReacher and Lugnuts like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

This has become the Teen Wolf/Karate Kid reference of this board.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Easy answer: Because HBO was willing to give him 20 million plus to fail at the thing he's no good at. But you're right, the one thing Simmons was good at he no longer does so that he can instead focus his energy on sucking at something else. Sounds like an efficient use of one's talent.

That Affleck interview was beyond painful. The guy sounded drunk as a skunk. And, you know, Ben, just because you're allowed to say fuck on HBO does not mean you're fucking required to work fucks into every single fucking sentence.

studthug12 and Lugnuts like this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That segment in a nutshell.

I'm still hopeful that this can be something unique and entertaining, but that was Bahstun Bahstool Spahts. It's his platform and he can apply whatever creative vision he wishes, but that is not likely to engage a national audience.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There went 4:57 of my life I'll never get back.
    Trying to decipher if that was straight vodka in Affleck's glass........maybe gin........
    That was brrrrutal.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Garner can't be about to take him back.

Please no.

What in the name of Capital One is she thinking.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I got so bummed watching that clip, thinking about his poor kids seeing that someday. (Hell, they've likely seen it lots, just not on TV.) He has all the markers of a sad, angry, bloated drunk. It's depressing to see him become the clichéd and serious version of what he used to poke fun of for jokes.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Damnit, now I have to watch it.

Big Circus and YankeeFan like this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, he's drunk, and I've talked to "that guy" about sports in a bar countless times. Those four minutes reminded me how much life sucked when I was drinking.

old_tony likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Also reminds me of one of my dad's favorite sayings: "Swearing is the verbal crutch of a mental cripple." I can hold my own swearing, but he was just embarrassing himself.

wicked likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He may have been coked out. His upper gums seemed ... numb ... the kind of numb that happens when you've coked your gums after hoarking some rather larger rails.

Draft saved Draft deleted