1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What it did feel like was a guy who has about ten years of material and was trying to jam it into a sixty-minute podcast.

Loved Killer on ESPN, TDS and Late Late. But then again, I love Cowherd.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I forgot that Kilborn left for the Late Late Show. At the time, I guess you couldn't blame him for the move.

But Stewart is now an iconic figure. Kilborn must kick himself daily, no matter how much scratch he picked up.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair to Kilborn, he didn't really have any interest in doing a political show. That was solely Stewart's doing. Even if you go to the first few Stewart months, the show has way more of an entertainment focus.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Kilborn isn't Stewart though. Stewart made The Daily Show the hit it became.

I actually felt like Kilborn wasn't as interested in looking down at everyone quite the way Stewart was. Kilborn had an appreciation for the absurd. Stewart is pissed off by it

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or no one wants to work with him anymore. He tried to break into Hollywood with Old School (playing a version of himself), but what's he really been in since then?

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If that's the case, why can't he find work outside of a mac & cheese commercial?

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I listen to podcasts while I walk the dog. I enjoy the long-form interviews — Maron, Nerdist, Simmons. I was excited to listen to Kilborn. But, boy, that was hard to listen to. He was all over the joint. Could barely complete a sentence before changing the subject. He had good stories to tell, too, but couldn't focus at all. It was a frustrating walk.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love Killer. I really do. Some of the best SportsCenter broadcasts I can remember were the old "feel-goods" with him and Ravech.

Hey......who knows.......maybe with half of everybody else bolting the ship, maybe Killer could go back to Bristol?.......at least it would be watchable.

9. exmediahack

The feel good SportsCenters of 1993-95 are what got me into this line of work. Excellent television.

My own pop psychologist guess on Kilborn is that he probably spent a decade climbing the mountain (he went from small market to ESPN to CC to CBS) and I bet got the "is that all there is?" moment. Made his millions, flirted with every super model in his third segment on CBS.

I imagine the economics have changed on him. He probably won't do a new show for less than X amount of money and no one wants to pay anywhere near that.

The tall, conceited guy obsessed with his hair is funny at 33. Dude is 52 now. Different stage of life.

I never had the feeling that Kilborn got into any of this to be excellent at one skill set. He got into this to be famous and, as a side effect, rich. That's fine, too. The guys who love comedy and writing would have found another channel or network long ago.

I think Kilborn is content living in Southern California and counting his money. As for the Kraft ad, that's a two hour time commitment and probably more money than most of us make in a year.

Three years for those still in print.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    sgreenwell likes this.
  10. exmediahack

On a podcast note, the Kilborn and Glazer podcasts have been very scattershot.

As a guy who has done lots of radio, both as host and guest, you have to pace yourself for a good listenable hour.

If Kilborn would have spent 15 minutes each on his early life/career, ESPN, TDS/TLL, the NBA and what the heck he's been doing would have been a much better listen.

The podcasts where I was excited by the guest have been underwhelming. Yet the ones with a guy I wasn't as familiar with - the venture capitalist and one last week with the noodle chef - were fascinating. In 2016, those are the most interesting people in society -- they either found a trend or followed their dreams on their terms and found success.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

*grumbles under his breath, shoves a spoonful of mac & cheese in his mouth*

YankeeFan and exmediahack like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Affleck is starting to look like Wayne Newton after his 38th facelift.

Oh, and alotta F-words flung about.

Draft saved Draft deleted