1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time believing a word of this analysis, but I can't bring myself to listen to that link to confirm your assessment. Lol

poindexter likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Glazer was an absolute trainwreck of a podcast. I consider myself pretty far in the bag for Simmons, but even I couldn't get through it, and I had to shut it off.

In contrast, the pod with Jim Lampley was excellent.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Glazer is re-tweeting all of the people who thought it was great.

Love his reporting, hate people who do that

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Mike Silver does that all the time, too. Never understood the people who RT compliments. Unless it's the New York Times book review saying your book is an instant classic, RT'd compliments wreak of insecurity.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons and Jay Glazer should be tied to each other and dropped off a boat somewhere.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

People PM me all the time with their compliments. Prominent posters, too!

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Simmons had Craig Kilborn on his podcast yesterday, apparently the first long-form interview Kilborn has done in a while. Man, if you thought Simmons was an arrogant, self-important douche, he's got nothing on Kilborn. Especially hilarious was the part when Kilborn tried to say he no longer worked in television "by choice."

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Talk about a guy who shit away a career, and did it twice. Jon Stewart must worship in front of a photo of Kilborn every morning at his animal refuge.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I had to stop after about 20 minutes. Sounded like Kilborn did coke nonstop for 20 minutes before Simmons pressed record.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Craig Kilborn made Jon Stewart infinitely wealthy. Those pockets are never ending.

wicked likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few who really liked Kilborn's versions of The Daily Show and The Late Late Show, but yikes. He was almost manic on the pod, just all over the place from topic to topic. If you can stomach it, or just want to skip ahead, the last 20 minutes or so are interesting, when there is talk of how Kilborn interacted with Letterman and his path from ESPN to his own show.

exmediahack likes this.
  12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I believe that Kilborn walked away in 2004 on his own. The guy probably made his millions and decided not to do the grind anymore. Racked up $25 million or so from a decade of Daily Show and Late Late Show.

Doing TV every day and trying to be funny is a damn grind, even with a team of writers and producers.

The arrogant and conceited part of Kilborn has been his schtick forever. Once you realize it's really a character, it's easier to process.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted