1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He had Sally Jenkins on to bitch even more about Goodell. Keep picking at that scab.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

When it was Mays and Barnwell on the NFL pod, it was pretty good. Now, I don't listen. I dunno, Simmons seems to be losing his toe hold. ''Twas a great run but I don't hear a damn thing about him anymore and just came across that Forbes story bc I was wondering what he was up to and googled his name. I used to think he played the Peter Pan card as a schtick but now I genuinely believe he is in arrested development. No one pushing 50 should care that much about fan boy shit.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3 things:

>>Bye, Medium. See ya.

>>Bill Simmons still clearly thinks the problem isn't his Web site's often frivolous content, but the delivery of it.

>>SB Nation might be on the clock.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting a sports site giving The Bachelor as much coverage as actual sports is a poor choice!?!

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It isn't that Simmons was blaming Medium. It's that Medium stopped selling ads on its site, and the minimum revenue agreements it had in place have been expiring -- and they are not renewing those deals. He was getting free hosting and a content management system in return for shared ad revenue. I'd love to know what kind of deal he got from Vox. Without the minimum guaranteed revenue Medium is no longer offering him, I can understand why he'd switch. But the question is how good (or bad) a deal he was able to strike with Vox, and what they are doing, if anything, in terms of revenue sharing and promotion. His costs are probably higher now, which can't be a good thing if the site is eating up a lot of his funding.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well certainly measuring by paycheck. In other words, skip bayless and SAS are..[I can't write it]

As with Grantland, there is too much pop culture coverage with The Ringer. It doesn't drive the conversation in so much as it tries to follow what's hip and assigns someone to that beat. Ya see this attitude reflected across the sports writing landscape nowadays, where everyone from Dave Portnoy and Clinton Yates to Charlotte Wilder and Mina Kimes are live tweeting the fucking Bachelor. It makes for a lot of writing and coverage that it a mile wide and an inch deep.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The thing is, there are so many flattering things he could've written about Simmons. For all his flaws, Simmons maneuvered his way through and up the ladder of this new media landscape (one he helped create) almost effortlessly. He connects with readers in a way that must drive much better writers crazy. His style has been aped by thousands of writers. He figured out a way to make seven-figure checks without actually covering anything (perhaps his greatest accomplishment and con).

This writer decided to pick "premier sports analyst."

Grantland produced stuff I wanted to read quite often. This new site took the engine and the drivetrain out of what was Grantland. The Ringer is the rest of the car sitting along the side of the road going nowhere.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yup, those are his critics.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I never said I wasn't a small, petty man. :D

Webster likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does he still connect with readers that well though?

Draft saved Draft deleted