1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or this is performance art and we can anticipate a walk-on by Joaquin Phoenix. Radio silence from both parties leads me to believe that Bill wasn't joking. He really comes off small with that swipe.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

lcjjdnh likes this.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

Simmons didn't respond with even a no comment. So, yup, he was serious and really comes off looking like a dink here.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If ESPN wasn't struggling so much, I'd say they were doing quite well with the Ewing Theory, that is, if I was allowed to say it.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I probably shouldn't open my mouth, but this is...interesting. Keri is no thief, a legit good dude. But, in my market, I've seen battles over this. And I've seen the follower (for lack of a better term) back down. There are people who would side with Simmons here.

I think it comes down to, is it enough for Keri to pay tribute? A few of us were talking the other day, and the opinion was mixed. What we all wondered was: did Simmons reach out privately before storming on the internet?

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I understand that you can take both sides -- ie Simmons came up with the idea to rank that particular way and ie people rank shit all the time, you don't get to copyright lists.

The thing that is kinda stupid in this instance is that Keri put in the article that Simmons is the basis for the setup. It's one thing to tout something as your "own" when riffing off another but he credited Simmons, and has in the past when doing the same setup last year.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was a work between the two former Grantland colleagues (which in wrestling parlance is a staged fight for the amusement of the audience). I now believe that Keri, at least, believed Simmons was serious. It’s up to you as the reader to determine where you stand regarding what right another writer has to use such a concept. In his introductory piece, Keri credited Simmons for coming up with the concept.

I did hear back from Keri. He said, “I totally appreciate your reporting here. But I have to very politely decline to comment. Thank you again for inquiring, and all the best.”

What a derpy response.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. Steak Snabler

As has been noted, Keri wrote the same piece for SI last year and Simmons didn't say shit. The Ringer didn't launch until June October, however.

So I think it's less about "stealing Simmons' idea" than it was about potentially stepping on something similar The Ringer's MLB guy (Michael Baumann?) might have had planned.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Stoney and Hermes like this.
  10. CD Boogie

Guy at Forbes says Simmons can and should return to ESPN when his deal with HBO is up in July 2018.

The Case For Prodigal Son Bill Simmons Returning To ESPN In 2018

Notable is that the guy doesn't at all address the chief reason Simmons left in the first place: his criticism of Goodell and the NFL. Pretty sure ESPN's relationship with the Shield is more important than any reunion with Simmons -- and by about a million fold.

11. Steak Snabler

Not sure what Simmons returning to ESPN would do for ESPN except maybe help their podcast network get more downloads. But he's proven he sucks on camera and 30 for 30 seems to be clicking right along without him. And Grantland wasn't making the parent company a ton of money either.

That said, if Keith Olbermann can come back to ESPN not once but twice, God knows Simmons can.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I listen to podcasts in the morning as I slow-walk my cross trainer. I have been trying the Ringer podcasts. I thought the Grantland podcasts were great but the Ringer podcasts are terrible. The Pro Football and the NBA podcasts ramble on and on. For example, the NFL podcast was a one hour tribute to Tony Romo retiring. Romo had a nice career but I believe that to be over the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted