1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. Steak Snabler

I assume he's joking, but with Simmons you can never really tell because he is that petty.

Keri did the same column for SI last year, and Simmons didn't say anything (and he gave Simmons credit for the idea this year as he always does). The Big Lead theorized that Simmons or The Ringer's baseball guy was planning something similar and got "scooped" by Keri.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's a joke only if OOP is Simmons' joke writer.

Hermes, QYFW, JC and 1 other person like this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So Simmons thinks he exclusively owns the concept of "trade value" in sports writing?

Does this mean we're also barred from Karate Kid references?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Eh, go ahead and use "Ching Chong Man" /Breslin

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Either that's a really poorly worded joke or is this is the moment when Simmons finally announces to the world his realization that the wave has crested and has started to roll back.

8. Steak Snabler

I think if he was joking, he would have come out by now and said "I can't believe people took that seriously" or Keri would have tweeted out that Simmons was only joking.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Adjusting my position slightly here. Having now seen the Keri piece, I'll just say Simmons has a point--that is an utterly shameless rip off of those annual NBA trade value columns Simmons used to do. For crissakes, Keri could've at least structured it differently. The sport's changed, the jokes are gone, but all else is the same.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Then maybe Bill shouldn't have recommended that Jonah used the format at Grantland -- ya know, the place that no longer exists bc Simmons had a hissy fit and lost everyone their jobs. I wouldn't want to ever use a format so closely associated with another writer, but Simmons doesn't own the rights to it. Besides, going at a stand-up guy like Jonah Keri seems like a fool's errand. He doesn't need to steal ideas from anyone, and he gave Simmons props, so Bill should have let it alone.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If he means that, good gawd.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I, for one, applaud Simmons - but only if it means whoever first did the Mount Rushmore of (Team X) can prevent every team-specific site and sports talk radio show from doing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted