1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hard to disagree. I will say Smith is a good fellow in person, or was back in my day when I met him.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think it is because downloads come from different sources. You can listen to a podcast on iTunes, maybe Soundcloud, or the show's website.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The f-word!?? How edgy!!!! (Also, what are the chances Bill doesn't really understand accounting...)

Bill Simmons on The Ringer’s first year, his canceled HBO show and what ESPN got right

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, ESPN has apparently relaxed on having Ringer employees on their shows, or allowing their employees to appear on Ringer podcasts. There has been some minor pollination in recent weeks, with Jalen and Jacoby.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I like the Ringer but if you were rooting for the Falcons would you avoid logging into that site for next week to you would not have to be exposed to Simmons gloating?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. lcjjdnh

So is part of his old Grantland crew, after that interview.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well here's the money quote:
    I love the people that we have now. I know you probably hear people say that all the time.

It would be weird if you said you didn’t like them.

It would be. But even at Grantland, there were always people around where I was like, “Hmm.” But here, I don’t feel that way. I feel like everybody believes in what we’re doing, and we have really good people. That’s a really good foundation.​
    Guessing this guy Rafe took exception to that. I still am dumbfounded that the Ringer can afford to have 65 full time employees. He said the podcast network makes it possible, so what the hell do I know. Must be so, I doubt he's paying people out of the kindness of his heart.

9. lcjjdnh

Rafe also tweeted articles written during the first two years of Grantland, so I think this might be this part that really bothered him.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

jesus, he has thinner skin than Simmons. I didn't take Simmons to mean that Grantland didn't run anything good in first two years, merely that the entire operation didn't get sound grounding till year three. Obviously this Rafe dude has an axe to grind.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: Grantland wasn't great in its first two years.

It was better than the Ringer is now.

People need to stop giving him longform interviews.

Lugnuts likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's seed money.

It'll dry up

Draft saved Draft deleted