1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I have mostly heard Klosterman in interviews or on podcasts. I may have read him a few times online, but I have not read his books. He strikes me as smart. I have no idea how he puts up with Bill's bs.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Someone needs to tell Simmons to stop breathing into the microphone, especially when he has a snot that's whistling.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? Klosterman strikes me as the senior in HS who discovered philosophy and thinks he's deep. Never understood the appeal. Was out of his depth in his stint as the Ethicist. Seems like a nice enough guy, and good for him for making a cottage industry out of the philosophy of nonsense, but not my cup of tea.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Klosterman has eased up a bit. He used to really beat up on him on the podcast.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

To me, he is a smart guy wasting his time on cultural ephemera. His choice of subject doesn't make him dumb, but maybe his cleverness, style, and subject make him appear smarter than he is.

This isn't the only time he made Simmons look silly and it's clear Klosterman is much smarter than Simmons.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

So in his column today he writes:

but of course when you click on the link he included it takes you to a Pro Football Reference page where has the QBs sorted by attempts and not TDs...So Marino threw 20 more TDs than the person with the second-most attempts, not the second-most TDs.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody doesn't know how to use the search function. Man, I have never wanted a Steelers victory more than I do this week. The whole Brady revenge narrative needs to die its rightful death, preferably in a blowout home loss to the Steelers.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But then you are cheering for the Steelers.

It's like a choice between chlamydia and syphilis.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

i already cheer for the Steelers, so I'll take both if it means a Pats loss.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At this point, Simmons has been exposed for what he is and what he isn't. He had his day. His site will continue to publish things for which some writers will make money. They will seem cooler than they are, but so it goes.

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

As much fun at it is to mock Simmons, now that he has recommitted to writing regular internet sports columns, his site hits I predict will go way up. He has a unique talent.

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Is the Mailbag usually entertaining? Except for the Ball Deflater dick-sucking, I thought that one wasn't half bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted