1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Probably making more $$$$$$$ this way, too

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my thought. Nerdist probably offered him a better cut of revenue, plus I think he has a wide range of interests beyond baseball and sports. Plus, they're probably seen as "neutral" enough territory that he can still guest on The Ringer, ESPN, whatever else is out there.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In other news, Keith Olbermann for GQ's The Closer doesn't have quite the reach of his time at MSNBC...hmm...

JMO....

ESPN made Grantland. If it isn't under the ESPN umbrella, it won't have a fraction of the heat.

Grantland wasn't significantly better than The Ringer is now. Not in writing or podcasts. But people perceived it as better because of the brand.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Apparently they REALLY want us to read Bill's story about the Celtics possibly getting Boogie Cousins.

upload_2016-12-15_11-57-6.jpeg

That's a lot of real estate to dedicate to a hypothetical that only maybe people in Sac or Bos care about. I go to the Ringer regularly to find stories I want to read, and typically end up finding stuff like this. Do they do any original reporting? And by that I don't mean poring through Football Outsiders stats and coming up with an angle someone else in the MSM might have missed.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The site inherited all Grantland's worst impulses and lacks the things that made Grantland interesting.

Stoney likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Directly beneath the double Bill-ing is a headline that refers to the 8-5 Falcons as a "juggernaut."

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Simmons' Boston-obsessed "real sports fan" schtick is starting to remind me of what became of the schticks of those like Berman and Vitale before him--fresh and fun in the beginning, but god did they ever grow progressively stale and tedious in later years.

And, like those guys, Simmons also seems to be having trouble recognizing when the schtick has turned tedious, lazily clinging to it instead of evolving. Sorry, Bill, but just like those outside the Boston area had no interest in watching an HBO show relentlessly featuring Pat/deflategate rants and skits each week, they're also not eager to read over-lengthed columns speculating on how some fictional trade might help or hurt the Celtics. We've grown bored with the "Boston Guy" routine, find new material.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Yesssss! Finally a new mailbag column by Simba.

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-mailbag-nfl-divisional-round-playoffs-cd4719f96263#.c48080fgr

Hmmm.....

I can use naughty words now. Check

Self depreciating remarks about his TV wardrobe but not his talent. Check

Using analogies and video clips from The Wire that would be more appropriately culled from Scarface. Check.

Saying sports' lists are not relevant but then speculating on how lists should be made. Check

Making hypothetical revisions to his basketball book rankings. Check.

Irrelevant, uninteresting, unsubtle shot at ESPN. Check

Still, I would rather read a mediocre Simmons column than 99% of most online sports content.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You missed the 'My picks would have been right if I just did this' excuse

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

"Just did this" = Acknowledged a bunch of pseudo-statistical/scientific nonsense like "The Pats always do great against teams with receivers named Mike. Belichick's just got them figured out," and "Their quarterback looked scared warming up before the game. I knew, but didn't change the bet because as soon as you change the bet, you jinx it."

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Pretty amusing few minutes on the podcast a few months back when Klosterman called out Simmons on this nonsense.

Simmons: "Well, we're going to find out if karma actually exists in sports!"

Klosterman: "Oh, so this will actually prove it, huh? If the Warriors do not win the title, proof that karma exists. If the Warriors win the title, proof that karma is a sham. Well, this has been a meaningful podcast!"

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I often enjoy the podcasts with Cousin Sal, but for two experienced gamblers, they spend an inordinate amount of time discussing teasers.

Draft saved Draft deleted