1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons launching new website - and hiring writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. This venture will work because the hiring of Katie Baker proves that Bill has an eye for hiring talented writers. The fact that he doesn't connect with 20-year-olds anymore is exactly the reason he's launched this venture. He has to know that he can't continue to be relevant with pop culture when he hits his 50s, so he's starting a site where he can hire talented young writers who will be relevant.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Who's Bill Simmons?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mr. Carefoot,

If you are who I think you are, welcome. I like your work and hope you post more.

EF

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

On the podcast with Klosterman (the second part), Simmons said two of the writers are Chris Ryan and Molly Lambert. It sounds like they weren't friends or anything with Simmons, so it seems like he's definitely looking all around for people. He didn't announce others because they're still working on contracts.

Also on the podcast, they have some interestig talk about the website and what Simmons wants to get out of it.

And, now I feel proud about my Deford analogy as Simmons mentions The National several times. They start talking about the site at around the 20-minute mark of the second part of the podcast.

5. I'm not nearly famous enough for someone else to pretend to be me, and Google consistently reminds me that there are only a handful of people out there with my name.

Something I forgot to mention in my last post: Simmons has 1.3 million followers on Twitter, many of whom will check out anything he links on his Twitter account. Those 1.3 million followers are a significant reason why ESPN can't afford to lose him -- if he goes elsewhere, he'll take a lot of that audience with him.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Bill received a call from Mr Lee with some friendly hiring advise.

Draft saved Draft deleted