1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons launching new website - and hiring writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Not a Simmons fan, but godspeed to anyone who wants to hire sports writers.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is no one else even slightly troubled by the idea of "sponsor" companies being "integrated with everything we" do?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're certainly not troubled, in ESPNLand.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is it ideal? No.

Is someone trying to find a way to finance some form of journalism/commentary online? Yes.

I'm not going to demonize the concept yet.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if any of the "sportswriters" hired for this site are anything but already reasonably established writers, most of whom are from fields other than sports, whom Simmons either admires (totally OK) or is friends with (less OK). Chuck Klosterman is not exactly hurting for work.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Not trying to be contrarian, but why is it less OK for him to be friends with? And what exactly does Klosterman's career prospects have to do with it?

It's his (and ESPN's) site. If he wants to hire his buddy Hench, or his amigo Gus, or his compadre Jacko, that's up to him. If people want to read them, they will. If not, they won't.

It's not up to Bill Simmons to offer jobs to anyone he doesn't want to.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Hiring one's friends is not good business.
    2. There were sentiments expressed on this thread that implied this Web site would expand employment opportunities for sportswriters. I didn't think so, and said so.
    3. Sure, Simmons can hire whoever he wants. But that doesn't mean he should. It would be more interesting to me, actually, if he used the site to promote voices that are relatively little known, but which Bill felt were worthy of more notice.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agree with all this.

Would also add that Simmons will likely act like a Katie Baker (and future similar hires) will get much more exposure now through the ESPN brand, so he can act like he somewhat "discovered" them.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

This site should be gold for advertisers. Simmons dominates that coveted male demographic.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

1. What if those friend are talented? I just don't get how anyone could have a problem with hiring a Klosterman, or say, Adam Carolla for a commentary. Frankly, Simmons has some talented friends. Even his non-sportswriter friends - like Jacko from the podcast - are highly intelligent and are compelling on the podcast.
    2. The website will surely expand employment opportunities for sportswriters. Likely already famous ones that will drive traffic, or ones with fresh, unique voices who already have some traction. I don't think it's Simmons' job to offer
    3. And I'm not trying to be a dick, but I'm not sure what's interesting to you is what matters. I don't know why he has some kind of obligation to hire relative unknowns. It's his site (and ESPN's). They can hire who they want.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One could argue that Simmons should give relative unknowns the same chance he believes he <i>wasn't</i> given in the newspaper biz. That would seem intellectually honest, wouldn't it?

Hiring authors/long-time like Klosterman and Carrolla may not journalese cronyism. But it's still cronyism. Simmons contends to be above all that. We'll see.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think Simmons has shown he has good instincts when it comes to endeavors like this, from being probably the most influential online sports guy, to his podcasts,which are among the most downloaded, to being the creator and driving force behind the 30 for 30 series on ESPN. He's had failures, like the dreadful online cartoon series. But overall, a pretty good track record.

As far as who he hires, I bet there will be a bit of diversity; look at the list of filmmakers he was able to cobble together for the for 30 for 30 flicks, a really wide-ranging group. He's well-read when it comes to the sports media, even if, unfortunately, he often seems to be reading so much because he's searching for the smallest slight. And if the site succeeds, it sounds like there'd be freelance opportunities available, which is never a bad thing.

And, just for example, with Klosterman, no he's not hurting for work, but really I haven't seen much of his writing lately, since he gave up the Esquire gig. He has a book every few years but I'm glad he'll be contributing regularly somewhere.

How about this comparison: Simmons's site compared to DeFord and The National? Did DeFord hire nobodies or did he go for stars and some people who might have even been...friends?

Two guys who became the most influential writers in their respective fields - longform magazine writing and online - and who then became creators of a whole new entity. I wonder what Simmons' role with the site will be? Editor? Will his columns go there or still on espn.com?

The National had the big bucks of a Mexican media magnate and Simmons has the backing of the most powerful company in sports. Will Simmons' site have to make money? The National knew it was going to lose money for three or four years but never got the chance to make it to three or four years. Seems like ESPN would have a real long leash with Simmons' site.

I think it's going to be a pretty interesting site. And, perhaps, a good place for writers, even those who have never seen Victory or can't recite a single line from Hoosiers.

Draft saved Draft deleted