1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons launching new website - and hiring writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think this will be a pretty good site. Simmons is starting a new site that will start in the spring. It will be 70 percent sports, 29 percent pop culture, 1 percent Karate Kid.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

Chuck Klosterman and Katie Baker are two of the first hires. I've always wished Klosterman would write more about sports, so I think he'll be tremendous with the site. There will be 8 to 12 full-time writers, then freelance.

2. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So where do I send my resume?

3. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

What he said.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Who's actually running the business side of this enterprise? Or is it under the ESPN umbrella, in which case Bill could do all right with it.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

From what I've read, it's owned by ESPN but not branded as such.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If ESPN's not backing it, I'd rather take my chances working for Lenny Dykstra.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is Simmons "hiring writers"?

Or handpicking them?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like I would enjoy reading every writer on Bill Simmons' site except Bill Simmons.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Interesting philosophy. Has this been done elsewhere online?

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/02/Feb-18/Media/Simmons.aspx

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hopefully his budget allows for a fact checker.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"The site will not become a slave to page views" ... that's a noble sentiment but probably unrealistic for the interwebs.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If, and it's a big if, those sponsors Bill talks about buy in as part of a package they buy from ESPN, it's actually a doable idea. If not, this won't last long. At least it's an idea. I wish it very well.

Draft saved Draft deleted