1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 8, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ha. I was working from the number someone else posted. I just googled it and found this.

Bill Simmons Would Be Nuts To Leave ESPN - Business Insider

Puts him at $5 million.

If he is leaving ready to take a big salary cut, fine. I doubt that's the case, though.

If he doesn't realize how good he had it, he's an idiot. Money quote:

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if Simmons went to Fox to do college football. There's just no way.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Another thought: Fox on Sunday mornings for a half-hour entirely devoted to gambling.

That would kill.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This was part of the USA Today story today:

Now, this puzzles me, not in small part because they make it sound like Grantland is dead. As far as I can tell, it's alive and thriving. Am I wrong?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

See, I kinda agree. Fox already does a college football gambling show, but they throw it on Friday nights at like midnight. Put it on Saturday mornings at like 9 or 10 and I'd definitely watch.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I was referring to FS1, not the big Fox. Big difference, obviously. Carry on.

7. The Big Ragu

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Does Grantland make any real money or is it like the WNBA?

ESPN makes about $6 per subscriber per month on TV. They can write checks for anything, including Reilly for $3M.

I agree the long term money will be harder to find for Simmons. Curious as to what any podcasts would be like for him but I've never considered him that great a talk show/podcast host. Great writer and good on NBA hosting.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

first off, he didn't run 30 for 30, he was a co-creator. Grantland? His whole approach was "hire young writers who everyone thinks are cool." Obviously the big boys -- Skipper, ESPN -- don't think he's vital to that ongoing mantra of pandering to the young. I like Simmons, I respect the hell out of what he accomplished, but it's still sad to me on some level that he retains the interests -- or acts like he does -- of someone who is in his early 20s.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Another note for the future. We are moving to Ala carte content. Dish and directv can get the old people who don't watch ESPN to pay the six bucks a month in a bundle.

Yet within 15 years, you won't have to. ESPN would be smart to start cutting anything that doesn't bring in solid revenue. NFL rights won't be going down but the ESPN revenues won't stay like this forever.

11. The Big Ragu

Without being able to see its P&L -- it has minuscule traffic compared to even a site like SBNation (let alone Deadspin). And they are paying the guy behind it like a rock star and gave him a decent budget to hire his favorite writers.

Of course it doesn't pay for itself. The question is whether there was a realistic plan in place to make it into something that would be profitable in time. I would bet everything I have that that was the nature of what led to Skipper waving goodbye to him. I am sure ESPN was ready to reign it in, and Simmons saw them as an open checkbook.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, as anyone who has listened to his podcast knows, Simmons knows absolutely nothing about college football. Nothing.

That's not a knock, because he's made millions obsessing over the NBA, the Red Sox, pop culture and NFL gambling. I'd feel comfortable hiring him as a network analyst/commentator on any of those subjects.

But college football is even further out of his wheelhouse than baseball, about which he admits he only cares about the AL East. Hiring Simmons as a college football analyst would be like hiring Paul Finebaum to co-host Inside the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted