1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 8, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If Simmons and Reilly are making the same money, I can 100% see why Simmons would want out.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is some sense of relief from both sides. He can do what he wants without being censored and ESPN doesn't have to listen to one of its best commodities complain about certain things.

3. RecoveringJournalist

If I'm not mistaken, he and Reilly both make in the $3 million range.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I bet your pants are so tight, RJ. You live for this shit.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Whatever they paid Simmons was not enough. ESPN is a strong enough brand on its own however. Yet will 30/30 be altered?

I think Simmons could be the rare guy to leave ESPN and not lose that much influence. Olbermann and Kilborn come to mind but they found success in non-sports formats.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How long has Simmons worked for ESPN -- 20 years?

That's an unbelievably long time to stick together in that industry.

The relationship had run its course. They'll both be fine. I think Simmons with the Turner/BR team makes the most sense for his next move, but I could see a bidding war.

ETA: OK story says 15 years. Still a really long time.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From what I had read this has been brewing for a while. Simmons wanted out after the suspension and he thinks he can go independent -- maybe find a partner to do all the back-end stuff.

If that happens, I think he is going to find out that earning the $3 million that ESPN was paying him is not so easy. And I don't think anyone else will pay him anything like that -- even if you attribute a halo effect to him, he's not worth that in added revenue.

I won't count him totally out, but I suspect he is going to realize how good he had it.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Simmons wasn't important to the network, but people who watch ESPN will still watch ESPN and those who enjoy Simmons will follow him wherever he goes.

Maybe I'm just an old guy out of the demographic, but I'm driven by content, not who delivers it.

Then again, I don't get all the angst over the departures of Jon Stewart and David Letterman and the such. People move on and there are a lot of other options left behind.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I completely agree. I think he's a big enough name to go out on his own and I think he'll be successful, but he's going to have to rebuild his brand. People have mentioned Carolla and it's a good comparison. Carolla lost money on his podcast for about a year before he started making money and he's one of the few who is making a lot of money doing it. Simmons may be able to do a better podcast without the restrictions of ESPN, but it will likely take him a bit of time to consistently get the audience that he had with the ESPN name behind him.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a real lack of understanding about TV and entertainment to think people are going to watch whatever's on because it's on that channel.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. Just ask CNN. Or NBC for that matter.

12. RecoveringJournalist

People said that for years about Leno. "Oh, people are just watching because they're used to watching The Tonight Show." and then he left, Conan took over and people stopped watching.

When people watch, or listen to or read something or someone on a daily basis for 15-25 years, it cannot be a given that they will hang around for the replacement.

I'm sure ESPN is saying, "We'll be OK without him." with Simmons and I'm sure they're right, but they are a lot better with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted