1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons Calls Out Mike Golic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Lebron's still having very productive years as well. Jesus, neither Simmons nor anyone else has ever suggested that Lebron is washed up or can no longer be "very productive" (I think he's still the best overall player in the world), but instead only that he's no longer quite the same level of superfreak athlete he used to be.

And the fact that Kobe and MJ remained "very productive" after 29 does not mean they hadn't lost explosiveness, because they HAD, both of those guys also saw a decline in their burst when they hit their 30s and had to re-adjust their game to account for it. No reason to think Lebron will be any different. The media only pretends like he's superhuman, I'm pretty sure his body's subject to the same human aging process as the rest of us mortals.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kobe totally lost his explosiveness at 36.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11799589

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wow, Kobe can still dunk!!! That's amazing, Xan, completely proves he's the exact same athlete we was in his 20s.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just recently read a book written by Michael Jordan's trainer- Tim Grover. In 1989 at age 27 Michael started to do more advanced training with the idea of keeping his explosiveness. His vertical leap was a solid 38 inches. By 1993 when he took his baseball sabbatical his vertical had gone to 48 inches. Kobe also hired Grover.

Clearly both benefited long term by the training. If Lebron's game is down this year it's a valid question to ask if he trained properly in off season. Maybe his weight loss cost him some explosiveness.

5. Songbird

He's barely lost a thing from his 20s. He's a workout freak, which is why he's still in such great shape.

1 on 1 I'd take him over just about anyone.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Greenberg is an empty vessel but he is from the Medill School of Journalism.
    What the fk does Bill Simmons know about journalism?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He knows that Daniel La Russo made the front page of the paper for beating the Cobra Kai.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Bill Simmons knows enough about what is and what isn't a superfreak athlete to know that LeBron is no longer one. He's either just musing or parroting what some GM told him on an email.

Simmons made a dumb comparison with LeBron to Pujols. It was a classic, snap-hook sportswriter hot take. Mike Golic dared to call him on it, and Simmons flipped because, obviously, Simmons cursing and using movie pop-culture references makes him a revolutionary thinker compared to Golic.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's not what ahppened

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I can't really stand any of the parties involved, but I don't think it's crazy to suggest that LeBron losing 20 pounds from his superfreak physique might make him a little bit different player. And Simmons did acknowledge that it's very early, but that was not acknowledged by Golic. Gonna have to side with Simmons on this one. Totally out of context.

11. Songbird

Just watched the LeBron featurette on ESPN. Not bad. He's a likable personable guy.

Simmons exec produced it.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Always liked LeBron. Hated The Decision, but I'm over it. He's pretty arrogant, but who in similar position (Kobe, Tiger, MJ, etc) hasn't been?

Draft saved Draft deleted