1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons Calls Out Mike Golic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 6, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Such a low-wattage show as M&M would have to manufacture drama from time to time.
    This is a very common tactic in many radio markets, hardly inconceivable.
    Simmons is enough of a snivelling whelp to be able to pull it off.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Another nonstory out of the Bristol Kremlin. M&M has zero influence on the sports landscape. Or any landscape.

I'd rather see a Rovell v. Deitsch "battle."

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What does Michael Kay think of M&M?

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm less entertained by this bickering than I am impressed Simmons commented on a nonBoston player/team. This will blow over. Simmons will try to keep his mean Boston cred alive and MM will continue their white-bread, morning-drive discussions.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Mike and Mike is unlistenable.
    Greenberg thinks he is the coolest guy in radio, and Golic has a general lack of knowledge about.....oh.....everything not Notre Dame related.
    There is a reason ESPN Radio forces their affiliates to carry them LIVE in the morning, and those same affiliates are telling them to fuck themselves, and switching to Fox, NBC, or even Sporting News Radio.

6. joe

joe Active Member

I'd like to see Greenberg vs. Simmons in a steel cage match. Oh, the scratching that would ensue.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

What was Simmons trying to say regarding Lebron's size? Was he implying that he lost 20 pounds and looks less athletic because he isn't taking PEDs? When he brought up Pujols that was my first thought as Albert doesn't seem like the same player since he left Tony LaRussa's pharmacy.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Simmons was saying more that Lebron did not look like a freak anymore. He mentioned Pujols drop off but was not pounding it as the main point of the conversation.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Criminy, you sound like Golic reading WAY too much into comment.

I don't think he was suggesting any such thing, but simply making an accurate observation that thus far Lebron has not looked as explosive this year as he once did. Which, btw, ain't exactly a shocking proclamation, the fact is many noticed Lebron appeared to be losing some explosiveness last year as well (coinciding with a notable decline in defensive stats like blocks and steals), he just was so damn good at the other stuff that he covered it up well.

As for cause, I'd suggest that that might simply be because Lebron is now in his 30s, in his 12th year in the league, and with a kajillion minutes on the legs odometer. Nothing nefarious about it. Nor implied by Simmons' comment.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

To be fair he's 29 (for another 53 days) and he probably took off the weight to gain back some of his nimbleness.

The miles will take their toll in the next few seasons but he'll be fine in 2014-15.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I care more about Mike and Ike than I do about Mike and Mike.

And I don't remember seeing a box of that stuff in years.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kobe Bryant and MJ had very productive years from age 29 on. A lot has been
    written about their training. Maybe Lebron should look at his training.

Draft saved Draft deleted