1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons and Holy Cross

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 27, 2007.

?

Does Bill Simmons even mention Title IX in his column about fixing sports (specifically basketball)

1. Of course he does - how can he ignore the biggest influence from the past 40-years on mid-size colle

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Bill Simmons does not know his ass from his elbow. His recommendations will be better gearded toward

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Bill Simmons likes lamp.

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Bill Simmons has been whining like a spoiled brat ever since the Holy Cross Crusaders were bounced out of the NCAA tournament by Southern Illinois (I also bet Simmons skips over just how good the Salukis were because he did not know squat about them). He has been touting his plan to fix sports (and basketball in specific) at Holy Cross for over a week and Wednesday he finally releases his master plan.

IMHO The changes at Holy Cross regarding athletics were driven by two things in the 1980's:

1. Father Brooks desire to protect the reputation of the college as a topnotch academic institution.

2. Title IX considerations - especially in regard to how they effected the football team.

My guess is that Simmons never mentions Title IX. He will either ignore it or he genuinely does not know how much Title IX changed the college sports landscape. What say you?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I say this column will not end well.

And that you forgot to draft Dwight Evans in your Red Sox-intensive draft today.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Chris, no one outside of your area except for John Feinstein really cares. I suppose the Holy Cross story may be able to be applied to a number of other schools, but still it's I-AA football and low DI hoops.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A local girl plays field hockey there. How does that factor into it?

5. Head Butt - I'm sure the interest on this subject is at least as great as the interest in Danny Almonte sightings.

Simmons tends to be a lightning rod in general and here he is talking about a subject that I care about.

Did I take someone in today's draft that you were counting on? Is that what this is really about?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Since when is it a top-notch institution? Because it is in Boston?

And please don't cite U.S. World & News Report, which has made college rankings a virtual racket.

Fuck Bill Simmons, aside from all that.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

not in Boston.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The number 1 reason was that Father Brooks decided that he wanted to strike a better balance between sports and academics. He saw some of the things that were happening at BC and did not want the same. It also might have been different if Cross had opted to join the Big East.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Worcester?

And how is it pronounced "Wusstah"? Wor-ces-ter!

10. First off - Holy Cross is not in Boston - its in Worcester (the Athens of Massachusetts).

It has always been considered on of the top liberal arts schools in the country and maybe the best proof is the fact that its tuition is and distinguished alumni are among the tops in the country

11. Woo - stah

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Holy Cross, Batman!

Draft saved Draft deleted