1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Rhoden: A Quick Reminder of Football’s Violence

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know that it is that much more violent. Part of the issue is we have a better understanding now of the results of the pounding these guys take.

My nephew is his high school team's defensive captain as a junior and he is currently recovering from his second concussion. The really scary part is the doctor thinks he might have had one that was not diagnosed, then took another hit that caused the current injury. He was having memory issues and dizziness for days. He was symptom free last week and may play Friday night, but it certainly makes all of us nervous. He's good enough that football may end up paying his way through college, but I can't help wondering if it is worth it.

Is there something wrong with feeling that way when it is a member of my family and still watching the game for pleasure and enjoying seeing others take the risk? That is a very good question.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But for head injuries, it's much more violent and it's not even close. Players are bigger and faster, by cartoonish degrees, to what they were 30 years ago. F = ma; the hits rattle the brain around the skull with way more force than back then.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point. I think it is a combination of both bigger hits and a better understanding of the consequences. The hits are harder just due to the size and speed and it certainly doesn't take one player hitting another in the head to cause a concussion. Often it is a whiplash effect or the head hitting the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted