1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Plaschke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by busuncle, Aug 20, 2006.

1. busuncle

busuncle Member

This will ruffle some feathers, since Plaschke is a board favorite, but this blog (BLOGS!) has very skillfully picked apart an especially overwrought column.

http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yawn, the sabermetricians' Anti-Christ is targeted. The column was supposed to be a slice of life thing about a couple of old scouts doing their job in a world hostile to them. It wasn't intended to damn figures and stat analysis. Someone needs to calm down.

And I don't care if Ethier was the A'S FUCKING MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEARS IN 2005 (the BLOGGER'S caps). Minor league stats are fairly meaningless. Issues of athleticism, personality and hustle, among other things, are things that you kinda hafta watch and bring your experience to bear on analyzing it. Plenty of people who have thrown 100 mph who couldn't cut it.

And at Maddux's age and recent performance level, it couldn't be assumed that he'd help. Some eyes on the ground would give you an idea.

I daresay that I don't think anything was particularly picked apart.

3. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

I'll only say, there's a hell of a big difference between Googling someone and knowing them.

The story wasn't written to be a scouting manual. Calm down, indeed. Dooley's right on.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Reading that blog makes me happy other sports have not been exposed to such statistical analysis paralysis.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wasn't Brad Komminsk the Braves' minor league player of every year for a while?

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I heard that David Clyde guy was pretty well-regarded, too.

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

Only because the Braves, like every other team in the 1980s, were relying on detailed computer analysis and not the advice of grizzled, 93-year-old scouts.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I'm curious about why so many sports fans have something against Plaschke - I never think of him in the Mariotti mold. I understand why fans don't like the Mariottis of the world who tell them what they don't want to hear about their teams. But I've never understood the animosity toward Plaschke, who seems more like a feature/tear-jerker/human interest columnist.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

...is not dead.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Love him as a columnist, hate him on ATH.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Point being that being named Minor League Player of the Year in and of itself isn't quite the big deal it might seem to be.

Could be that the organization is filled with lousy players, could be that the player honored is one of those guys who hits his peak at AA or AAA.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Pretty hilarioius dissection of the column.

Draft saved Draft deleted