1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Parcells Retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Has Parcells ever taken a job without screwing over the team that hired him?
    Has he ever left a job at the end of a contract or has he always quit in the middle of a contract?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Giants probably ought to be happy with the two Super Bowls he brought that franchise.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The team is misshapen. Parcells built a big, slow team that fit the championship prototype in 1989, but doesn't necessarily do so now. Anyone they bring in is going to be forced, at least for the first year or two, to customize things to Parcells' parts.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hell is freezing over. Hondo and I agree. Might be because he is absofuckinglutely right. It's obvious where Belichick got his level of class of from -- Parcells.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Steelers and Raiders hired head coaches today, too. Did they not steal any thunder from Dungy and Smith?

I understand where you're coming from, because I'm with you on the Parcells ego, but maybe he Jerry Jones told him to sit on it for a couple weeks to see whether he would change his mind and decide to coach another season.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He wasn't bad on NBC. Then again, he had Costas, Juice and Willie Mac as a supporting cast.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Monday after the championship games is as about as good a time as any to make such an announcement.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Parcells has lost his touch. His last great coaching job was 8-8 after Vinny tore his Achilles.

I do not think he wants to deal anymore with the individual personalities, as well as the glaring media spotlight. He's 65, he's got (some) money, and with his past health problems and still being overweight, more problems are likely to come within the next 10-15 years. Let him retire back to the Jersey shore, enjoy his summers at Saratoga, and maybe dabble in TV.

The only reason he will make the HoF is because he helped resurrect one of the league's premier franchises.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

C'mon now, I read on the crawl during the tennis on ESPN2 that Ed Werder is EXCLUSIVELY reporting that some schmuck has pulled out of the Pro Bowl. News you need. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted