1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill not Self(ish)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Bill Selfish?

My thing is, I'm going to prepare as if he's going to go. I learned from Roy. I'm expecting the worst, so that if it did happen, then I'm prepared for it. No surprises.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

you're right.

He can be John Wooden or Dean Smith instead.

3. Re: Bill Selfish?

Or Bob Knight?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

As a wise old NFL general manager used to repeat over and over: "Don't let them tell it's not about the money. It's ALWAYS about the money."

If Okie State were to offer him the same or less than Kansas is about to give him, he would not even consider it.

To think anything else is painfully naive.

5. Re: Bill Selfish?

eh.

I just think one of the most satisfying achievements as a coach has to be turning a crappy program into a winner. It's definitely more satisfying than winning - or losing - with a program that is expected to win every year.

And the people who dismiss the importance of living and working close to your family, your hometown and your roots are the ones putting too much importance on the money. Money isn't everything.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Why are sports figures criticized for being appealed by a bigger paycheck? Fuck, aren't we all?

7. Re: Bill Selfish?

Exactly.

I expect Ben Howland to return to Weber State any day now.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I may hate my alma mater, but I'm pretty sure it should be mentioned in that conversation.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Excellent.

maybe little Nicky Saban will head back to Toledo, too.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're right, I knew I was forgetting something.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

John Wooden? WTF are you talking about BYH?

What was UCLA before John Wooden?
    In fact, Wooden was there 14 years before making the Final Four and 16 years before winning the whole thing.
    Duke -- under Vic Bubas, Bucky Waters and Bill Foster -- had a greater tradition before Krzyzewski than UCLA had before Wooden.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

isn't he an electronic journalist?

Draft saved Draft deleted