1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill not Self(ish)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Re: Bill Selfish?

I should add, he grew up in Oklahoma and also coached at Tulsa for three years and Oral Roberts for four. He coached and played in the state for a total of 18 years and didn't leave until 2000.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: Bill Selfish?

Too bad for her. When she gets a $2.5 million a year job and reaches its absolute pinnacle, then she gets to dictate location.

I know, I know . . . that's chauvinistic and all that. But even if she doesn't like Lawrence, I suspect she has many reasons to make the most of it. Her thoughts on the town should be secondary in a case like this. "Honey, I dislike the town that you are now King of."

Rumple . . . . college basketball is a place where nothing lasts forever. A great player is not going to be with you for more than four years on the court, and a really great player won't stay more than one or two. And if you have a program that is having a rough go of it, all you need are a couple of quality players to build around, and you're right back. Remember, the Indiana team Sampson took over had a couple of nice players, and an oft-injured DJ White. Two years later, he had the program contending for the conference title and eyeing a nice tourney run before he blew it.

Crean and Indiana will have a rough go of it for a year, likely two and maybe three. Then, they will have the chance to build to achieve things far beyond the "solid" level he had reached at Marquette.

3. joe

joe Active Member

He left for Illinois, a better job. He left Illinois for Kansas, a destination job. Oklahoma State is not now and never will be in the future a destination job. If he goes, it's a downward move. And if he goes, it's 99 percent about the money and 1 percent because of the alma mater crap.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

She doesn't like Lawrence but longs for Stillwater?

Takes all kinds, I guess.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Piotr, Crean will have two years of sub-par teams at Indiana before contending for a Big Ten tourney title. He has three pieces to fill. I am going to say Marquette will have a harder time with the rebuilding since Crean ditched them, since he nearly caused several recruits to bounce with him, not to IU, but other programs.

6. Re: Bill Selfish?

I agree with everything (except for the use of "never;" would you have said Florida would "never" win back-to-back titles?) until the last sentence. How do you know what the school and state mean to him? Are you just expecting the worst?

7. joe

joe Active Member

I'll turn it around: Why do you assume it means that much to him?

I'm just saying that I think we in the media make the alma mater angle a mountain out of a molehill. And I think it's lazy reporting when that's your only, or main, angle. Requires no real reporting to dredge that angle up, no first-source reporting, just speculation.

8. Re: Bill Selfish?

I'm not going to out myself, and you can choose to believe this or not, but I have some insight into Self.
    I find it incredibly cynical to say money would be virtually the only reason he would return to his alma mater, but that's your point of view.
    Either way, it really doesn't matter.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Self doesn't strike me as a person who would go from Point A to Point B simply for the money. Call me naive, but it seems like the guy's not that shallow. He's also not dumb enough to rule it out when it comes up.

Bottom line, some coaches love the next challenge. They go somewhere, succeed, then move on. Repeat. Maybe that's why Self's had so many jobs already. Maybe that's why he would take the Oklahoma State job if he looks into it and the situation is right (because we already know the money is).

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Self's had so many jobs b/c, as noted before, every one was a better gig than the one before it: Oral Roberts to Tulsa to Illinois to Kansas. Where else do you go after Kansas? North Carolina? I mean, seriously, UNC and UCLA might be the only programs in the land with a richer history than Kansas. Those are gigs people go to because success there makes you an icon.

Coach K, Calhoun and Olsen became icons at their schools by turning downtrodden programs around. Believe me, no one, in 1986, said "Hey this Jim Calhoun guy is gonna own the state and win multiple national titles here." I guess Self could do the same thing at OSU. But to climb up the ladder for 15 years (or however long he's been a head coach), only to accept a gig at OSU after he's won the national title at KU would sure make it look like a money grab.

He should parlay OSU's interest into a big-money extension. Then again, he doesn't need OSU to get a big-money extension.

11. Re: Bill Selfish?

Yeah, that's the thing. Has there been a coach lately who didn't get a fat-ass bump in pay after winning a national title?

12. Re: Bill Selfish?

You're making my point for me. He's won a championship with one of the top programs. Where else can he go? What's wrong with wanting to return to your alma mater to take on the challenge of turning it into a world-class program?

He can't be like Coach K and Calhoun until he takes a truly mediocre program and turns it into a juggernaut.

Draft saved Draft deleted