1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill not Self(ish)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Bill Selfish?

C'mon, dude, it's a DOWNWARD move.

2. Re: Bill Selfish?

It's definitely not a lateral move, but does that matter?
    What matters is whether each school has an equal draw to him, factoring in the money.
    Clearly Kansas gives him the better chance to win more titles, but his emotional attachment to OSU and the state of Oklahoma must be higher.
    If OSU can offer him the money to make up for the difference in the quality of the job, is it wrong for him to go? I'd say no.
    None of that is to say he will go. He'll be even richer at either school than he is now, but it's an oversimplification to act like this is just about money.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

and yes, I think self is safe for a good 10 years, barring a 2-25 season.

We're talking about a state and a fanbase that WORSHIPPED Roy Williams, even though he pissed away multiple title-worthy teams. They don't hate him b/c he didn't win, they hate him b/c he's a spineless liar who bolted for NC after telling Kansas he was there for life.

Self is the next Coach K/Calhoun/Olsen...the guy who can be more powerful than the school prez for as long as he wants.

4. Re: Bill Selfish?

True, but you can get from Stillwater to Edmond (his hometown) by car in 45 minutes. Tell me there's no difference there.

5. Re: Bill Selfish?

Now that he's won a championship, he'll have the potential to do in OK St. what Cal did in Memphis.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Finish second with a bunch of fur coat-sporting kids who can't hit free throws?

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Nothing in the Memphis program is free. Not the players, not the throws ... nothing.

8. joe

joe Active Member

I think the whole alma mater thing is always overblown by the media and BLOGgers in these cases. Yeah, Self went to Okie State, was a pretty good player, wife was a cheerleader, yadda yadda. It was college, a lifetime ago. A school ain't family.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Heard several people say Mrs. Self doesn't think fondly of Lawrence.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Crean is moving from a place where he developed a solid recruiting base and a solid team to a team where he needs to rebuild since Sampson-gate ravaged it and Gordon's gone.

11. Re: Bill Selfish?

He was in Stillwater for 11 years between his time as a player and assistant. He left in 1992, 16 years ago.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Coach K is the best comparison. He won his first title when he was 44, I think, and Self is 45. Self could become a legend at KU if he decides to stay. Even if he never won another national championship, his job would be safe. He's a honest guy, humble roots, straight shooter who knows his Xs and Os. He's perfect in Lawrence. Roy could have stayed 25 years in Lawrence, never won a national title and still been loved by the boosters and community because of who he is and what he accomplished, tournament aside.

I have no doubts Self could do for Oklahoma State what Calipari did at Memphis. The question is, what's he looking for longterm? Is it moving his family home, to Oklahoma? Or is wherever you are home, with KU giving him the best shot to attain his career goals, such as multiple championships and legend status? And does he want to move again, given how he spent three years at Oral Roberts, three at Tulsa, three at Illinois and now five at Kansas? Where does he want to stay put?

So many questions ...

Draft saved Draft deleted