1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Maher

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 17, 2007.

1. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I actually think he can be rather funny, but his social commentaries are tired and lame. Self-important piece of shit douche covers it well.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think it's his tone as much as anything else. Even when I agree with him on things, he says it as if he's the first one to ever think the way he does, and that it's so patently obvious that he's right and smarter than all of us and that we're lucky to be in his mental graces. And the former HP CEO brought absolutely nothing to last night's table.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll take Fiorina over that parakeet Coulter any day of the week.

4. It's OK, I'm bcak to normla now/

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Watching him sometimes makes me actually uncomfortable.
    Not in a good way.

6. JackS

JackS Member

I saw his Broadway one-man gig a few years ago and I thought he was terrible. I would have walked out if I wasn't with company.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Come on now, he's found a niche character and he's going to ride it for as long the checks come in. He playing straight what the Colbert Report plays for satire which doesn't say much for Maher.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I actually like Bill Maher most times. I miss watching "Real Time."

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Just remember, there was a time so pathetic in which he "guest starred" on Married . . . With Children.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

And when I say I can't stand him, I should also say that I am very strongly a Democrat, so it's not his politics.

One of my favorite episodes was when he had Max Cleland, an Arabic man (not stereotyping, just can't remember who it was) and another guest, and they all ganged up on Christopher Hitchens.

Hitchens tore Maher - and the rest - apart, and also flipped off the overzealous audience twice. It was a Tour de Force by Hitchens, simply awesome.

What made it twice as enjoyable was that Maher had intentionally loaded up on sympathetic figures (Cleland and the Arabic man, plus ?) to try to help him 'defeat' Hitchens.

I remember leaving that show thinking, 'Bill, that's why you're an 'entertainer,' and Hitchens is an exceptional writer and intellectual. In other words, don't let a boy hack do a man's job.

Maher is in the Arianna Huffington school of entertainer/wanna-be politicos. They're not really good at either venture, but they find their niche by straddling both worlds. It's no surprise Maher constantly has Huffington on his show, and that Maher often posts pieces on Huffington's website.

Hacks, both.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sorry, Rok, but Hitchens is a fucking clown, and always has been.

Pure asshole.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Not saying he isn't. The guy's a drunk piece of crap.

But his intellect and ability to make an argument and debate is infinitely greater than Maher's, which he demonstrated. He obliterated Maher, and the 'loaded deck' against him. It was outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted