1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Maher on being offended

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 22, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I mostly think Maher is a douche, but he writes an op-ed on Americans' love of being outraged/offended for the NYT (sorry to our SJ Canada contingent for the shot at you guys :)):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/opinion/please-stop-apologizing.html?_r=1&src=tp&smid=fb-share

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Believe me, there are a lot of people saying very offensive things in Canada. Read the comments in The Toronto Sun - it will put the lie to 'polite Canadians'.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

We'll "end up" with politicians like that? Was Maher born yesterday?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Can you see the commenters actually dropping their gloves?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I found Maher's comments about self-discipline rang true. For instance, Maher is so annoying and attention-whorish that I just avoid him. The only time I hear him is when I'm in my car next to a Porsche driven by a 5-foot-4 50-year-old who so desperately wants to be a 6-foot-4 23-year-old.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Assclown needs public outrage to stay relevant, and rich. And he knows it.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Bill Maher is an American hero.

No, seriously. F**k all of you who don't like him.

:)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The way I see it, you have 48 hours to get pissed off about something someone said or did. Beyond two days, you're not outraged, you've become part of a campaign. (And yes, sadly, that probably includes KONY - as righteous as that campaign is).
    And if said outrageous act occurred more than two days prior to being made public - well than that's just someone reaching.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

No wonder America is fucked.

10. The difference is in Canada, you run the risk of being arrested if it's too offensive.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From last week's show: "March Madness is the only time we ever say the words, 'Kansas is advancing.'"

Yes, that is better than losing to Norfolk State. :D

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You know, Mizzou, some of us come to the Anything Goes side of things to avoid sports. Thanks a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted