1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill James' "Popular Crime"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 17, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay. Have fun with your anti-intellectualism.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, a doctor with scientific training who is finely tuned to what the data means in relation to my body and my circumstances--nothing anti-intellectual about that at all. I'm as intellectual as anyone; I just think I'm intellectual enough to know that intellectualism has its limits in the world of humans, and thus I don't follow it flying out the window.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Doctors make a lot of mistakes. It is the nature of the job. In fact, "Complications" is practically a confessional at times.

4. dooley_womack1

Applies to every profession, including computer programming, data entry and data analysis. Point?

5. Dick Whitman

It does apply to every profession. But most professions don't involve saving lives. If a computer can do a better job reading an EKG, then give me the computer. Lives saved because of better accuracy. Lives saved because doctors can spend time they would have spent reading EKGs instead treating patients. I'm all for greater efficiency that leads to net social gains.

6. dooley_womack1

My last point, and then I'm done with this particular tangent (if Stain wants to bat around my intellectualness some more, that's a different issue). I'll take my chance with the scientific professional who knows my context over a collection of data that doesn't. And I note that the apparently fragile credential of "doctor" was good enough to pin the credibility of the original work on.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Isn't this the central plot point of Minority Report?

8. Dick Whitman

There is an enormous gap between "fragile" and "infallible."

As far as context and so forth goes, Gawandi argues that that can be to the doctor's detriment, because humans are influenced by bias.

I'll have to type some of the passage here. He's a much more eloquent writer than I am, obviously, and has much greater mastery of the concept.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm glad James has chosen to look into the Kennedy assassination. Not enough research and analysis have been done on that case.

10. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

I can't wait to find out what Jack Ruby's OPS was.

11. dooley_womack1

We'll find out that Cochran's status as a clutch attorney is illusory.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oswald Patsy Shootings? I think it was 1.000, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted