1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill James makes HOF case for Dwight Evans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Were you interviewing fans as they entered Fenway Park from 1972 to 1990?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I covered more than my fair share of games during that time. He was an outstanding player. He has my respect both on and off the field. Never gave me a bad interview. He's just not a Hall of Famer.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bill James says he is.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Drip say he isn't.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's your argument? Where's your evidence?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

My eyes and my opinion are my argument. He was an outstanding ball player. Not a Hall of Famer. What part of this do you not comprehend?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bill James makes an argument based on actual statistical evidence. Your argument is your own "eyes?" Seriously?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I like you and most of your posts, but I'm not sure your rebuttals to any case built on statistics goes much deeper than Drip's, no? You are somewhat hostile to them.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not hostile to statistical analysis. I'm skeptical of it.

I'm also skeptical of pronouncements based on "my own two eyes."

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know you act like an ass and love get people riled up. It's my opinion that he's not a hall of famer. Bill James' stats mean nothing to me. By the way, are you old enough to have seen Dewy play? Did you see him play in person? I'm curious.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think you're hostile to being an a-hole but that's a different take. It's my opinion he's not worthy of the hall. James thinks he is. Evidently, others agree with me than with James because Dewy's not in Cooperstown.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I watched Evans as a fan and covered him as a sportswriter. He was an excellent player. He was and is a VERY marginal Hall of Fame candidate. And nobody ever thought he was as important to the Red Sox as Jim Rice or, for that matter, Fred Lynn. He was never the best player on his own team, which isn't his fault, as there were always actual Hall of Famers on his teams, from Yaz to Rice to Boggs.
    That there are players in the Hall whom Evans WAS better than is not, IMO, a sufficent argument for his candidacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted