1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill James makes HOF case for Dwight Evans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Jose Guillen belongs on that list, near the top.

2. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

To heck with the Hall, give Dewey an Oscar for his excellent work in "Hall Pass."

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The engine that drives statistical analysis of baseball players is wins. What we are really asking, in evaluating any athlete, is, "How many games did he win for his team?"

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dwight Evans is widely regarded as one of the two or three best defensive right fielders in major league history, and he was clearly a significantly better hitter than Bill Mazeroski, who got in because he is widely regarded as one of the two or three best defensive second basemen in major league history.

I'm not saying he should be in. (I'm definitely not saying Mazeroski should be in.) But I would have no problem with Evans making it. He was better than Jim Rice.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mazeroski got in because some people on the old Veterans Committee were absent from their annual meeting and Joe Brown, the old Pirates GM, was able to take advantage of that, call in favors and get him enough votes.

Mazeroski was a fine defensive player, but he has no business in the Hall of Fame.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

He and Dave Parker had two of the best arms for a right fielder in the late 70s. I still can see Evans taking his long stride before throwing a bullet. I remember people were upset when the Sox gave Manny No. 24, because many feel his number should have been retired.

And not to threadjack, but I loved watching the brute strength of Parker. Remember his two outfield assists in the '79 All-Star game? He owned that season.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not before Olerud

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I mistakenly thought at first this was best right field arms. Wow, that tripped me up for a while.

That's just a bit too high, but Barfield had a freaking cannon.

Anyway, spitballing here:

1. Clemente
    2. Bo Jackson
    3. Barfield
    4. Parker
    5. Mays
    6. Winfield
    7. Mondesi
    8. J. Guillen
    9. Evans
    T-10. Ichiro, Vlad, Ellis Valentine, Carl Furillo, Larry Walker

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Adam Jones gets no love? He was throwing 96 mph in high school.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

No he does not. He was an outstanding player, true. He wasn't a Hall of Famer.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

At great length, with many charts, and with methodology partially unexplained, Bill James, "The Godfather of Baseball Statistics," disagrees.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's the ultimate chart. I have NEVER heard anyone say they were going to a Red Sox game to see Dwight Evans play. Case closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted