1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill James makes HOF case for Dwight Evans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7555836/an-open-letter-mlb-hall-fame-dwight-evans-rightful-place-cooperstown

Interesting...

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No. It's insane.

Unless he shows his work, or his spreadsheets, I won't go fo a "win share" at all.

How the F does a player only earn two "loss shares" over the course of a season? And what about making crappy plays even though your team wins? Does that count against you?

Dewey was a good player. A very good player, but he was the third-best outfielder on his own team for many seasons, which is another way to say he was first-worst.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dwight Evans belongs in the Hall of Fame.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I believe I have posted this before, but back in the '80s at the old Eliot Lounge, we came up with a bar game where you had to pick active players who'd be elected to the Hall by the Veterans Committee. Evans was the first name everyone came up with.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That guy has become the silverest of silver foxes. I vote yea.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

It isn't Bill James making the argument, it's someone using his Win and (unpublished as to methodology) Loss shares. Arguing for Dewey by comparing him to his peers assumes that said group contains a deserving HOFer beyond Dave Winfield, which isn't clearly so. Dewey wouldn't be the worst induction, but whether he belongs among the best 240 in the game is at best debatable. He certainly isn't the best candidate on the outside of the Hall.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I respected Dwight Evans when I was a kid (I was a Yankees fan). And he is damned close using whatever smell test I have for the HOF. Sorta close, just not quite there is the way I would put it. It's not the stats, even though I think his stats fall short. It's just who he was relative to the rest of the league. He was never a star among stars.

Now if you want to argue Graig Nettles HOF credentials! :)

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fuck Dewey Evans. Let's see him make a case for Ricky Williams!

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure one of the seamheads on here will tell me how wrong I am, but Evans had the best arm I've ever seen.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, in Evans' first years, I was a right field bleacher regular at Fenway. He had an amazing arm, although I do believe Clemente's was better. Accuracy and strength.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

This list was put together quickly, and I could change the order if I gave more thought behind it.

1. Barfield
    2. Bob Meusel
    3. Ichiro
    4. Clemente
    5. Evans
    6. Guerrero
    7. Andruw
    8. Shoeless
    9. Mays
    10. Ruth
    11. Mondesi
    12. Parker
    13. Winfield
    14. Hooper
    15. Cravath
    16. Ott
    17. Speaker

Obviously, there's some players on that list that I didn't see play, but I've read a lot about them.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bo Jackson's was not that had. I head Elway's baseball arm was decent as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted