1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill James: Boycott the BCS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True dat.

You want a chore? Try arguing in favor of it.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Especially if Florida has the 38. That'll win me my bowl pool.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If tonight's game is still awesome at 10:15 Eastern time, that's one argument in favor.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Maybe he's an angry Texas' fan.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If tonight's game is a 50-point blowout at 10:15 p.m. Central time, that will be turned into an argument against.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it's still awesome or not, without the stupid BCS there is a chance that Texas, Utah and Southern Cal could have played in game -- heck maybe even on New Year's Day -- that meant something and could have given them a shot at a so-called championship.

The BCS managed to take something bad and make it worse. Hard to do when you have a blueprint from every other school that works.

Yeah, yeah, money. I know.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What if we could have had 8 games that were awesome, and which led to a sense that the deciding of a champion was played out in an actual tournament?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's crazy talk (It would be 7 games).

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Bill James wouldn't have gotten the number wrong.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure there were, but in that case somebody had to THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Unlike the NCAA, who cares little about the 'student-athletes' who are only a few years removed from being children themselves.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I merely offered the argument; I would have a 16-team playoff myself. But to extend the devil's advocacy: If Florida and Oklahoma have a great game, with a high quality of play, wouldn't you rather have that than the possibility of one of them being knocked off by a Penn State on the way to what would have been a great matchup?

Draft saved Draft deleted