1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill James: Boycott the BCS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Says "statisticians, quantitative analysts, and all related professionals should have the dignity, the self-respect, and the common sense to have nothing to do with the BCS."

http://www.slate.com/id/2208108/pagenum/all/

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Bill James is an idiot. Everyone knows that Florida was the most feared BCS team this year. [/crossthread]

3. Yeah, thanks, Bill.
    When it comes to entertainment, statisticians are the first people with whom I check. Always.
    Go away now please.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Does he have a take on whom the Pythagorean national champion is?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I was about to post this. It has a lot of valid points, no matter what you think of James.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with Bill James. I think the BCS is killing themselves finally by insisting that every other bowl mean nothing and by spacing them out over 12 weeks so no two games are on the same day.

Get rid of this obsolete rigged popularity contest and start a playoff already.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I sat avoid hedge funds . They were created by statisticians. If James had any dignity he would not be working for John Henry - a hedge fund operator

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Bill, but you're a little late to the party with that argument. He's basically saying that the BCS formula is hard to understand (duh!) and people want a tournament. What a novel freakin' notion!

[/quote]

Ranking them based on who they played and who they beat is kind of what they do now, genius. It's why schools like Utah will never sniff a national championship. Because PEOPLE don't think they play anyone worthwhile over the course of the season. It's odd that a guy who has built his living on turning sports into one big math equation comes back to the idea that you still need people to watch games and figure out who's good and who isn't.

And redistributing the windfall from the BCS to the smaller schools? "A new National Collegiate Sports Collaborative"? When did American college sports become the old Soviet Union?
    Oh, and good luck on all of this, Bill. Gordon Gee laughs in your direction -- and then spits in your face for good measure as he's getting on the plane to Pasadena.

9. Jesus, who the fuck cares?
    Give me 38-31 and I'm happy.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ranking them based on who they played and who they beat is kind of what they do now, genius. It's why schools like Utah will never sniff a national championship. Because PEOPLE don't think they play anyone worthwhile over the course of the season. It's odd that a guy who has built his living on turning sports into one big math equation comes back to the idea that you still need people to watch games and figure out who's good and who isn't.

And redistributing the windfall from the BCS to the smaller schools? "A new National Collegiate Sports Collaborative"? When did American college sports become the old Soviet Union?
    Oh, and good luck on all of this, Bill. Gordon Gee laughs in your direction -- and then spits in your face for good measure as he's getting on the plane to Pasadena.
    [/quote]

I don't think he is being serious with that, I think he is saying congress could threaten them with it and it would force the BCS and the NCAA to come up with something better.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The hell if something as relatively trivial as the BCS should be considered by Congress for a nanosecond. The steroids hearings were bad enough.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Anyone arguing against the BCS is pretty much automatically making a good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted