1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Gates: Now, THAT'S philanthropy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Mar 22, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm going to find it awfully hard to say a bad word about Bill Gates after this. He and Melinda are donating $122 million to get D.C. students into college.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/21/AR2007032102168.html

Of course, I know how this will go ... somebody WILL find something bad to say about Bill Gates and this incredible gift.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You can criticize Microsoft and what they do all you want, but the man has been as generous as anyone could ever imagine. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation seemingly does an awesome and generous job of donating money to groups that need it.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No beef with Bill Gates, especially given how much he donates.

My beef, however, could easily be with the spawn of Bill Gates, namely Windows.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

$122 million for him is like 100 bucks for you and me.

He can afford to give more.

Stingy bastard.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The Gates Foundation has had in place a scholarship program for Native Americans. Not just four years, but through Ph.D. if they desire. And it covers EVERYTHING they need during those years.

A philanthropic role model, indeed.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That somebody won't be me. Good for him, giving back however he can.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it's nice when rich people give money to the causes they agree with. I'd like it better if they were taxed more so we could decide how the money should be allocated.

Now that's nothing against Gates. His dad has been at the forefront of fighting against repeal of inheritance taxes. Still, not all wealthy people are as generous as Gates about, in some way, paying their fair share. We cannot depend on their generousity.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

god bless bill and melinda. :eek: 8) ;D

9. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I won't say anything bad about Bill Gates, BUT...

given that many colleges are using need-blind admissions policies and meeting the full demonstrated financial need of all applicants, I wonder how necessary the scholarships are.

The mentoring program sounds like a good idea.

10. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Actually, if you make $40,000, it's the equivalent of $7.50

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What has Bill Gates ever done for me? Screw 'im.

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

wow. nice job by him.

Draft saved Draft deleted