1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Cowher's coaching status

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 27, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06361/749227-66.stm

I say gone.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Would Cowher want to coach at Alabama?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I say he's coming back. I'll have to dig up the quote, but I believe he said earlier this month something about not wanting to leave like this. I'm guessing he finishes out the contract next season, then leaves if they make the playoffs one more time.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There would be few people more ill equipped for college coaching.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Arthur Blank, please pick up the green courtesy phone. Arthur Blank ...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What better place to find this out, with an AD who will settle for no less than a proven winner? ;D

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What makes you say that?

I can see some difficulty adjusting to the college game for somebody who has been coaching professionals for so long, but what else would hold him back?

This is a high-energy guy who can go into a recruit's house and show off a Super Bowl ring.

That said, I can't imagine why he would want the job. If he doesn't stay in Pittsburgh, I think Cowher takes a year or two off and returns somewhere else in the NFL. It's not like he'd have a hard time getting another job.

And forget Atlanta. That job's going to be open this offseason and no way Cowher coaches anywhere else in the NFL next season.

I don't think he'd do that to the Steelers and if he tried, I doubt they would give him permission. Cowher cannot coach in the NFL next year without the team's permission because he still has a year on his contract.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe Cowher to Dallas in 2008 after Tuna retires?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Makes some sense, though I'm wondering if maybe he stays out until his youngest daughter is done with high school. I think she is a sophomore now.

10. I'll bet the Skins make a run at Cowher if/when Gibbs retires.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Cowher has built a HOF career with Pittsburgh and he's not even 50. My guess is he takes a few years off, like Vermeil and Gibbs, before coming back. He's surely derserved it.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're right, he doesn't turn 50 until May 8.

Which is why I give him a year at most on a TV set before he's back in coaching — and I'm gonna stick with Dallas.

Draft saved Draft deleted