1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by somewriter, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

No correspondence should be mean or bullying, regardless of whether it might be for public consumption. Lowering the 'tude quotient is worthwhile on its own merits (and slows more hair loss).

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Assuming the blogger has 40 years of daily coverage in his background and can get the GM of a team to take his calls, yes.

3. It's very simple.
    Throw rocks.
    If the target complains, however bizarrely, humiliate him "for a laugh."
    I love the New Media.

4. lono

lono Active Member

He shoots, he scores!

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think some of you guys severely overestimate the access privileges of mainstream media versus bloggers. A fanboy site called angelswin.com had an interview with Tony Reagins, the new Angels GM, this month. The guy who did the interview sells insurance, I think.

I really don't think old dinosaurs like Conlin are the only ones with access to teams. Just my opinion.

6. poindexter

Throw rocks.
    If the target complains, however bizarrely, humiliate him "for a laugh."

It's been your modus operandi on sportsjournalists.com for six years.
    I guess it's okay if you do it.

Is there a difference between "Crashburn Alley" and "Fenian Bastard"? I don't see it. I'm guessing you will, though.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm guessing angelswin.com's access is predicated on it being a fanboy blog, so of course Mr. angelswin.com isn't going to write anything nasty or testy, and Mr. GM won't have to worry about what he may say, since fanboy never would publish anything even approaching the Mendoza line of controversy.

8. There are a LOT of great MLB blogs. Some of them are fanboy blogs, but many are very sophisticated -- and critical.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Conlin's diatribe was better than anything he ever said on Sports Reporters.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not saying that, but the example poin used -- a blog called "angelswin.com" -- doesn't scream impartiality.

11. poindexter

The example, angelswin.com, was given, in response to a post that suggested a Bill Conlin-types are special because he has access to a club GM. You can check out and decide for yourself the impartiality of the site. The point is, that dinosaurs are not the only one with access to clubs. Fanboy sites, bloggers, ect have access to the teams as well. Tim Mead, the Angels' VP of communications, spends a significant time dealing with bloggers. I doubt it's different with other professional franchises. The days of the Conlin's of the world holding sway over a Phillies franchise are long-gone.

Black dude with a pompano (best name on this site) understands. A friend sent me this from a great blog, Dodger Thoughts.

http://dodgerthoughts.baseballtoaster.com/archives/865947.html

Better written, more critically thought-out piece than anyone on the LA Times staff could dream of writing, in my opinion. I don't care if this person wrote it from his mom's basement, while wearing just his underwear. I see more concise, direct baseball analysis from blogs than newspapers, day-in and day out. Just my opinion.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A GM will give access to a blogger more readily than to an established print type.

Why? Bloggers, who often have no journalistic background and no basic principles of journalism tenets, will play by the GM's rules much more readily.

Draft saved Draft deleted