1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by somewriter, Nov 26, 2007.

1. BBJones

BBJones Guest

I have the same thought. When I saw the title thread, I thought "he finally had the big one."

2. Uh ... he is a thin-skinned blowhard.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, then he made his point. I apologize.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

He is INDEED a thin-skinned blowhard. And a better writer than Will Leitch will ever be.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

that's the only thing thin about him

has become irrelevant in philly

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From deadspin:
    sharply reduced travel and a mandate to write mostly commentary.

Yep...nothing at all like a blogger there Bill.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not sure I can generalize about the blowhard part, but I have found a surprising and disappointing number of big-time sportswriters to be thin-skinned. Doesn't reflect well on the business when guys like Conlin, Lupica, Albom and a dozen others you probably can think of scream bloody murder or overreact at the first hint of criticism or questioning. Considering all that they dole out.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Conlin pulled a huge thorn out of my paw in 1992 at the Albertville Olympics, when I was going it alone, sleeping on floors, etc.

Tossed me the keys to his huge corner suite when he decided to leave a weekend early, said "have fun."

Gets a lifetime pass from me.

I'd still like to grow up to be him, for that matter.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agreed.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Here's an interview with the blogger that Conlin got into it with over e-mail...

http://www.phillymag.com/blogs/philly/2007/11/27/the-end-days-of-bill-conlins-online-crap-storm-interview-with-bill-baer/

Interesting little part here:

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Me, too. Just without the shortness of breath or the exquisite fat guy voice.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

At what point did Conlin have knowledge that the exchange was being published online?

BB: I’m not sure, to be honest. I never said to him, “Your e-mails are on my blog.” Personally, I thought he should assume that they should be publicized, but as I found out, it’s about an even split when it comes to people expecting their e-mails to be publicized. Perhaps I should have explicitly stated that I was publicizing them, but I also gave him the opportunity to clarify his statements in later e-mails.

Gee, do you think?

Draft saved Draft deleted