1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by somewriter, Nov 26, 2007.

1. somewriter

somewriter Member

Hopefully, we each can own a condo like this someday:

http://deadspin.com/sports/old-old-men/its-important-that-you-know-bill-conlins-compensation-326411.php

2. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

"Know what, pal? Bash this. . .Tell your bloggers, my career against theirs ..."

This line wins the award. You're a sportswriter (so am I, for the record). You're not THAT important, big boy. You certainly wouldn't want to measure the worthiness of your career against the doctors, lawyers, plumbers, pimps who might be blogging on the side.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bill Conlin craps bigger than Will Leitch, apparently.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would think the budget-conscious Philadelphia Media Holdings might not enjoy word of Mr. Conlin's largesse getting out there. Wonder if he's still Guild, as many Philly columnists are apparently (see Smith, Stephen A.).

5. How is this whole mess interesting?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Fenian,

I'm amazed by how Conlin handled this. I mean, it's unbelievable.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's really *that* amazing?

The guy's a gruff, old columnist who's got Fuck You money.

I'm surprised he didn't have the blogger killed while he was at it.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Sports Reporters was far more interesting when he was on it.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Every time I see that guy on TV, I keep thinking he's going to go into cardiac arrest right that second, on air. He can barely breathe.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Conlin slips when equating bloggers negatively to pamphleteers. Sure, probably most of them were annoying blabbermouths back in the day, but without guys like Thomas Paine we probably never would have had the support to win the Revolutionary War.

Oh, and proving he's hasn't lost his fastball by saying he makes a lot of money is like comparing apples and, uh, well, gold bullion.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Ignoring his personality and whether he is a nice person, I didn't read the latter point that way.

If his bosses worked hard to keep him, in part because his columns are still read by the masses, that IS proof he hasn't lost his fastball.

And that is the main point he appeared to be making. The financial angle was piling on, in my opinion.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree.

I don't read him, but just because you are popular doesn't mean you are good. And certainly doesn't mean you are as good as you once were.

And if he wanted to make the point that the bosses wanted him, he could have simply said they kept asking what it would take to keep him instead of throwing money and condos around.

He comes off sounding like a thin-skinned blowhard if you ask me.

Draft saved Draft deleted