1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin receives 2011 Spink Award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

\why?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Why not? I think he's deserved of consideration when you look at his career.

3. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Still dead.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That says he's been a legend in Philly for 50 years, but I bet he wasn't a legend until at least 25 or 30 years into his career.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks, Eagle. I wondered how long it would take.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

First, I very much enjoy reading Bill Conlin's columns. I find them both informative and entertaining. For my taste, that is the column writer's exacta.

Second - - and only slightly off track - - the Philly Daily News had three writers who were honored by the Hall of Fame in the sport they concentrated on:

Bill Conlin for baseball;

Phil Jasner for pro basketball;

Ray Didinger for pro football.

All three of those folks were in the same newsroom for an extended period of time. That's impressive staffing...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

From 1974 to 1982, the Daily News had arguably the best columnist writing stable in the country. Thom Greer, Stan Hochman, Tom Cushman, Ray Didinger. Jasner on basketball, Conlin on baseball, Dick Weiss on college hoops. Ted Silary, the guru on high schools didn't come over until '77. That's a staff that was hard to beat.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They knew the drill. Sports drives tabs.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Also a golden era of competition in the area.

10. When was Mark Whicker there? he was in that mix, too, right? and John Schulian?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Whicker came on about 1980. And I omitted him. A thousand pardons Whick. Schulian came on a little later.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Phillies spring training officially begins tomorrow. Odds have Conlin making a brief appearance at the Carpenter complex.

Draft saved Draft deleted