1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin on the business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Do we really try to be that way, though?

Every time I have a crtical take on the program I cover that doesn't square with public opinion in lockstep, I get emails accusing me of advancing the "Around the Horn" culture, "trying to get on ESPN," etc., etc., etc.

It's exasperating.

2. Really? Plaschke? Lupica?

Those guys are outstanding.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've gone through the Plaschke rodeo here for years. Agree to disagree. I've said it one hundred times.. If he's writing about the Compton High softball team, he's aces.

If he's writing about the Dodgers or UCLA, he's useless. Utterly.

I do know, anecdotally, that I've never met one LA Times subscriber who reads the Times for Plaschke.

4. I can see that. He shouldn't be allowed to write about baseball.

As far as the Conlin column comments go ... just depressing, as usual. No one is asking them to "feel sorry" for laid-off sports writers. Also, we understand that "the Internet is where it's at." The problem is, who is going to pay for it when the Internet is not profitable?

Of course, fans don't get this. They don't understand why you can't just sit on your couch and write. "That's what I do!"

All that being said, to me the depressing part has nothing to do with sports coverage. It largely surrounds news. Sure there are 10,000 bloggers parsing Barack Obama's every word and reporting it and even doing some public records investigation. But who is going to investigate the local mayor? Who is going to cover cops in your community?

It's all just so sad. The state of the business. But also readers' unrestrained glee about it.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I disagree with the notion that people distrust newspapers. That may be true in some instances, depending on the paper, but my experience is that people look for the newspaper to confirm what they hear/read elsewhere. If the local beat guy reports it, they accept it as fact.

6. In other words ... the people posting that Bill Conlin should suck it, etc., etc., are a vocal, fringe minority, in essence?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

An awesome column.

It's doubtful, however, that there's much of an elitist attitude left among sports writers at the moment. If it was ever there, it's been pretty much beaten out of us, and is a misperception/misunderstanding by those not in the business.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

/Raising hand. Here's one.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Rare that I go to the Times' Web site and don't click on Plaschke's contribution.

Hope Tribune Co. can monetize that two-clicks-and-out visit by me, because it doesn't get any of my money directly.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Conlin is a columnist who writes stuff often designed to annoy people. I was thinking more about news reporting. If Todd Zolecki or Les Bowen report something, I'll believe it because they've demonstrated an excellent knowledge of the team they cover. I think readers feel the same way.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Conlin referred to Blackie Sherrod in the past tense.

I'm pretty sure he's still alive.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was stunned to read this, thinking I missed something:

Maybe it was a metaphor, but I believe he is merely retired.

Draft saved Draft deleted