1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin on the business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Success can't be measured by covering the pros or having a lot of loot. Success is a feeling of accomplishment and if you find that covering a tiddly winks tournament, so be it.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And, the fact that someone, perhaps, would like more/greater success, does not necessarily mean that they haven't been successful.

Just as a lack of success can make people hungry for it, so success creates a taste, an expectation, even, for more of it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Success is some elusive satisfaction/fulfillment of needs ratio. I have a feeling the closer the ratio is to 1, the better off you are.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know we like to cling to this as some reason we "deserve" to be paid more and treated more professionally than others . . . but it's really pretty meaningless.

Whether you are a janitor or a journalist, you are paid more (or less) because you are worth more (or less) to the company that hires you.

The fact that I took some journalism courses in the early 1980s doesn't make me intrinsically worth more than the janitor who cleans up around my desk each night. It doesn't mean I do my job better than I would had I been hired straight of high school.

Some professions (medicine, law, engineering) have a high demand on what you learned in college. Journalism is not one of them.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Great post. "I've got a college degree" means far, far less than "I've got a skill that's in strong demand."

Draft saved Draft deleted