1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin on the business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good read. I ripped it right off one of our member's Facebook page.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/20081209_Bill_Conlin__Two-minute_warning_for_our_beloved_sportswriters.html?referrer=facebook

2. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

I'm a little surprised they let him write that.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The comments are always interesting. People say they don't care. They read their sports on the internet. They don't seem to understand that much of what they read on the internet is written by the reporters/columnists who are now getting laid off.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

5. So am I, but glad they did. Solid stuff.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Among those who do understand, I'd wager there's a solid percentage who understands the "elitist smugness" Conlin mentions of the press box for decades, and that percentage knows better than we care to remember that some of the smugness has been directed at them. That's one reason we might not get a lot of tears shed, even when the layoffs and cutbacks affect the readers too.

Enjoyable column. I'm sure some will wish he'd said this or said that, or that he wouldn't have said "gals," but it was a good read. Thanks for posting, Moddy.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My favorite Conlin line:

"With the social security check my wife and I receive, I'm making ballplayer money for two columns a week."

8. I've thought about this a lot, and I don't think that's what it is. I think it's a few things:

1. Americans' general distrust of institutions, something that's been pervasive since the 1960s, Watergate, etc., etc. We're considered the establishment, hence ..

2. Having it drummed into their head over and over and over and over again that the "MSM" is not to be trusted. Rush Limbaugh. Hannity. Coaches and athletes they adore. Whose side do you think they're going to take in those disputes?

3. The Internet, for a couple reasons. First of all, it gives them a chance to pop off anonymously in the comments section, which people love to do. I'm sure it's some sort of psychological outlet. And also, because they can now all start their own BLOGS!!!! which has empowered them. They don't think we deserve to get paid for what we do.

I understand that we're somewhat to blame. I'm not absolving us entirely. That being said, I think the amount of self-loathing isn't proportionate to what we really deserve.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Perfect perspective.

Sad, the way he disappeared from the Sports Reporters when Schaap died.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wayon, I agree with the bulk of what you said, but there are too many writers in classic denial about the smug attitude a lot of writers have about fans (read: readers) and how that's not gone undetected by them.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'll nominate as well the whole notion of who the media is and who it ain't. Newspaper sportswriters get blurred with Internet bloggers who get blurred with radio talk-show jocks. Some intentionally try to antagonize the audience to generate ratings, and the audience -- with plenty of crossover members -- stays antagonized toward other media people. If you're encouraged to call up with a snarky take over here, you might still be running on the fumes of that snark when you read and respond to a print story. Newspapers compounded this effect by trying to be more and more like the shock jocks and the bloggers.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

His point about the sports page being a shell of what it used to be hits home with me. Six staff bylines on a sunday sports page. Sad.

But I won't miss the Conlins, Plaschkes, Lupicas or Krikorians of the world. Three or four bloviations a week which, in my opinion, are rarely thought-out, or missing in logic. I can, and do, get better from BLOGS!

Draft saved Draft deleted