1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Conlin has reportedly died

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

MisterCreosote brings the ugliness of life to the pages of SportsJournalists.com. Film at 11.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Child abuse is SO traumatic to the bystanders who have to read about it.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Budget your time as you wish.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

This is a board that seems to hold an all-around cretin such as Daulerio in high regard.
    At least that is expressed by the many times his egestions have been linked here.
    There is a desire for some consistency.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Remember when the damn bloggers were playing on his lawn...

http://deadspin.com/326411/its-important-that-you-know-bill-conlins-compensation

7. jr/shotglass

I don't know. Let me think.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I was thinking about this thread today and a dialogue I had with a colleague some months back.

Our original conversation was framed by something much more benign, that being can we enjoy the work of writers/artists/musicians/etc. when we disagree with their lifestyles or politics and where does the slippery slope end? The extreme example was Hitler, who was said to be a talented painter. Even if true no sane person would ever say that out loud.

Both of those came to mind today when I pulled out a random mix CD and there were a few Michael Jackson songs on it. I have enjoyed those songs, as well as others by him, but I always feel dirty listening to them because, despite there was no conviction, there was way too much smoke for there not to be a fire. (And even the things he admitted to were creepy enough).

So, I'm firmly in the camp of "Eff Conlin and his writing" but wouldn't that make me a hypocrite if I say that while humming the tune to Thriller?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As Adam Carolla has said (about Jackson, Chris Brown and others), "If you can dance, all is forgiven."

10. jr/shotglass

I have tried on occasion to let that "beyond a reasonable doubt" thing guide me on here.

This has not worked well.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

I don't idolize sports writers.
    Or writers for declining men's magazines.
    It is possible to recognize the germ of talent in someone you find repugnant.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Conlin and Conlin only deserves blame. No one else, not the victim or their family should in ANY WAY be reproached for their behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.