1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Carter's book on the Leno/Conan mess

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, loved The Late Shift too. I read the excerpt here and combined with the Playboy story from a few months back figured all the bases had been covered.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll never understand what's so good about book excerpts. Seems it diminishes instead of broadens your audience.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Hoping this book makes Leno out to be the back-stabbing prick that he was in Late Shift. Why NBC put its money on such a no-class, low-brow talent like Leno to replace the King Of Late Night is one of the great mysteries of mis-management.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

1. Because he's made them boatloads of money.

2. Because he does whatever they want him to do.

3. Because TV doesn't care about no-class and low-brow; They want people who will make them boatloads of money and do what they want.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was a helluva read, but I agree with Webster, I'm not sure what else there is to tell. I'll probably ask for the book for Xmas b/c The Late Shift is one of my favorite books, but I can't see how giving away the goods in Vanity Fair is going to boost sales.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. Film is art; television is furniture. The mistake NBC made was killing the golden goose, not in creating that goose in the first place.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Forgot about that book too. I loved the chapter where CBS was laying all its Friday night money on The Fugitive, only to have a little show called CSI: Crime Scene Investigation come out of nowhere and get 20 million viewers on Fridays. Unheard of...

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'll definitely read it. I loved the excerpt and I'm a big Conan fan. Plus I'm sure there are quite a few who are interested in the behind the scenes details of stuff like this.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I just found something to put on my Christmas wishlist.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

That excerpt was a fantastic read. Thanks for sharing.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tim Goodman and Lisa deMoraes do a much better job covering TV. I'm sure there must be more in the book about Zucker, but the way the excerpt reads, Zucker was just a bystander.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted