1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Bidwell now flies with the angels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Oct 2, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For taking a once-proud franchise and burying it, and maybe not even having hit rock bottom yet, it's gotta be Snyder.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The Cards and Bengals never had any sustained success. The Redskins won three Super Bowls and Snyder wrecked them. Snyder is the worst NFL owner ever and it's not close.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am trying to recall a worse home atmosphere than I've seen at Fed Ex these past couple seasons. A weirdly surgically changed stadium; visitors fully taken over. Apparently it is hell to ingress and egress.

Dignity Health Sports Park (current Chargers home) looks positively Lambeau-ian in comparison.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

thread winner

5. CD Boogie

I wonder how sports editors handled headlines for two teams with the same name in the same city. I know the Giants became known as the New York Football Giants, but would they have to cram in a reference to the sport into every headline or just say, fuck it, and rely on the article to clear up any confusion?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think except for August and September, it was rarely any problem.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And that’s with the capacity down to what, 75k? It was in the 90s when it opened. I went there for a college game eight or nine years ago. There was probably 60k and it was still a mess getting in/out. There is a Metro station about a mile away, but apparently walking isn’t a real option and the stadium was built so they could get the fans with the parking fees too. Put a new stadium at the RFK site and be done with it already.

8. CD Boogie

I don't know about that, what with the Hot Stove and the nearly year round obsession with all things NFL. I might have to waste an afternoon in the wayback machine and check out the Post-Dispatch sports section from the 1980s, see how they handled headlines.

9. Hickory Smoke

Hickory Smoke New Member

I recall the Post-Dispatch using Big Red for the football team.

Liut and CD Boogie like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the time I heard a radio reporter say "And here's what Roger Craig has to say about the Giants" and thinking "baseball news," only to find out it was the 49ers' running back talking about next week's opponent.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This ... and both the P-D and Globe-Democrat would also use football Cardinals.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sometime, I will have to pass along my Roger Craig (the player, coach and manager) story. It involves a Mississippi River steam-boat cruise and me driving him to a grocery store to purchase vodka.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted